Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Premium Member
    Thanks

Oldest 37mm pom-pom case?

I've been sorting out my 37mm German Pom-Pom cases and heads and found what I believe could be the oldest case - unless someone could show me an older one! It's a Navy case with the CROWN over an "M"; dated MARZ 1883 and is batch no. 4. Depotman

DSC_0165.jpgDSC_0161.jpg

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Depotman For This Useful Post:

Darkman (26th October 2020), doppz92 (27th October 2020), super7 (26th October 2020), Weasel (25th October 2020)

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,063 Times in 503 Posts
    I'll raise you 2 lot numbers ~

Hotchkiss coiled cases can be older, so one of those will win this ---

I'll put up 1874 -
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gspragge For This Useful Post:

Big Dave (26th October 2020), doppz92 (27th October 2020), Weasel (26th October 2020)

Thanks
    A bit of nit-picking here but the "pom-pom" nickname was first given to the automatic Maxim cannon which first emerged in the 1890s (not sure of the exact date). Maxim adopted the existing 37 x 94R cartridge for his new weapon. Not sure what gun this cartridge was first developed for - presumably a Hotchkiss, either a manually-loaded single-barrel gun or a hand-cranked five-barrel rotary. Can anyone clarify?

Images
    Thanks
    Morn Tony, always understood nickname pom-pom came from the Boer War by our troops when subjected to bombardment by same. As I understand it, Maxim was asked by the British Govt to develop a large calibre machine gun, so the one pound limit on explosive rounds naturally came in. Probable use was as anti-torpedo boat naval guns. After development, the Govt declined to actually buy any, so Maxim went to the open market place. And there he found Boer Govt representatives with gold from the Rand to spend. Our troops were much put out when the Boer artillerymen used their new equipments on them. Alan.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Alan1 For This Useful Post:

Andy Naude (27th October 2020)

Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I can pip you with a German Lorenz case from July 1882!IMG_4548.jpg

Premium Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I just found this.....credit to the authorsshot0216.jpg

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pysall For This Useful Post:

Andy Naude (26th October 2020)

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    I also expect as earliest date 1874. These old cases are not clearly dated, that is more the issue.
    Ignorance is bliss.

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,063 Times in 503 Posts
    I agree as to the use of the term Pom Pom regarding the Boer War. In which case (ouch) as the British cases were undated
    and if we are talking Pom Pom's only, then we are put of luck for a date. Such a case though impossible to identify unless marked Maxim or with the letter M for same
    will predate the Joining of Maxim & Nordenfelt. As maxim was working on the Maxim 1pr prior to this union. (as a comment the driving band on these are often termed
    Nordenfelt style - they could in my mind just as easily have been a Maxim design.) The 1pr British band is simply a modified older Gruson 1pr band, and the latter (I think the first modern artillery driving band design) is a clever improvement on the Hotchkiss to avoid patents and the corresponding cost.
    The earliest proper 37x94 case will date to (after looking at my files) circa 1874 it seems as the earliest type of standard projectile was produced at or just before that time.
    The heavy 1pr (37x120) was introduced first as a rapid firing field piece for land. From what I can tell it seems only the U.S. Army
    bought them. The introduction of the standard 1pr (37x94) for navel use was successful in revolving cannon or single shot gun form thereafter spawning endless varieties of projectiles.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    The Maxim 1 pounder was first demonstrated to Albert Vickers in 1885,Albert Vickers been a shareholder in the Maxim Gun Company Ltd (1884-1888)
    Apprentice Boxologist

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Hello,
    so what date do you think this * LORENZ * Crown KARLSRUHE A could be?Lorenz-.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast