What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

old British Army sizing

batonroundcollector

Premium Member
maybe somebody here will know about this... I'm wondering how British Army sizing works - what sizes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc correspond to in actual measurements... there must be a table somewhere? not sure when NATO sizing was adopted instead, but old numbered sizes are found alongside NSN numbers in labels (when Britain had already been NATO member for decades) - maybe in the '80s? I'm wondering specifically about sizing for the Cadet Smock as looking to get one - to further complicate things sizing might be different for ACF clothing given that they were intended for teenagers (given cut of smock they'll easily fit adults and I read they were in fact popular in the British Army as windproof item).

When I joined up (Army Apprentices College, Chepstow, 1978) we were sent to the stores to get our kit. The stores wallah, a long in the tooth WO2, just eyed us up and down and had his staff put stuff on the counter for us, with a look that said `That'll do.' Nothing was too small; Some things were too large. Some had hung around for decades, e.g. hairy, itchy woollen underpants dated 1954, waiting to be issued (I held a 30th birthday party for them in Germany in 1984 - needless to say I got p****d). Some had been issued several times over, e.g. 37 pattern webbing dated 1937. After I had been there a year or so I started wearing out socks and took them to the stores for exchange. Said stores wallah looked at me with a manic grin and handed over a ball of wool. I never had a clue what the size codes meant. They were another language. I once found the NSN for a Chieftain tank turret and wondered, since I was in Belize at the time, whether one would be delivered if I put in an order. I didn't, just in case one might have arrived, as we had no tanks in Belize, only armoured cars and the expense of shifting a useless heavy object would have outweighed the humour of the order.

I once found the NSN for a Chieftain tank turret and wondered, since I was in Belize at the time, whether one would be delivered if I put in an order.

Theres a system in place to check if a unit is scaled for spares. Your demand SHOULD have been rejected if you had submitted it. HOWEVER. When I was at SS 2Fd Wksps in th Falklands, a team was sent next door to the Engineers to do a stocktake and someone found part of a cooling system for a Chieftain tank!