What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canadian 75mm case with Belgian primer

charley777

Greetings to all.
This 75x277R x89.8 cartridge case has D.P.C.Co. stamped on base.
That is presumably the Dominion Copper Products Company of Canada (?)
The primer has the stamp A F M which is Ataliers de Fabrications Militaires (Belgium).
Is this a normal pairing? Can anyone explain more?
Thanks very much.20201031_095405.jpg

Last edited:
The primer has the stamp A F M which is Ataliers de Fabrications Militaires (Belgium).
Is this a normal pairing?
View attachment 164446

Can only tell you that it is normal. I think I did read somewhere in the BOCN that AFM was a french factory which produced for Belgium during war (they had lost most of their territory during war). So be careful with this as I don't have any proof...

I can back up part of Alpini's post. I own a 10cm casing made for captured german 10cm guns made by A.F.M though I was told, but also have yet to confirm, it was produced by a belgian factory. Though frankly I would be more likely to believe what Alpina said that it was a french factory producing for belgians. There wasn't much of Belgian territory left in Allied hands for me to believe many factories were operating there (in allied territory).

P.s. I should probably say Entente powers rather than allies.

I thought to add a couple of pictures of cases I have. My understanding is these cases were reloaded in France to keep the Belgian guns in operation in WW1. I can offer no documentary evidence for this assertion, likewise I think AFM may represent Atelier de Fabrication de Munitions, a Schneider factory in France supplying the Belgian Army.
One case started life in Berndorf in 1909 and the other is a Belgian made case, potentially modified to accept a French primer. We all have to accept the chance of a primer being refitted at some point because it fits! However, I cannot get the AFM primer to unscrew, it is well in place!
526D325A-ECDF-4E11-A074-A941226AF74A.jpg5B2EB15A-A0B5-4ABD-8432-5E5FD70DE9DD.jpg