What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sky Chernobyl Mini Series

Falcon

This was released in 2019 but I have recently watched it again. It is a five part series with each episode one hour long.

It is well worth watching. Some of the events have apparently been dramatised, but the props and scenery were very accurate according to those who lived in the area at the time.

It actually makes a change to watch something filmed nowadays which isn't trying to push some modern politically correct agenda.

To me it didn't come across as anti nuclear power, it seemed more focused on the workings of the Soviet system.

Last edited:
enjoyed this, if enjoyed is the word as the story is pretty grim... yes some inaccuracies; after watching anything based on real events like this I will always read up on what was accurate and what was not (understandable that changes are made for dramatic purposes) so would recommend it with this small caveat.

Last edited:
I don't think this is really a spoiler as the basic events are fairly well known, but anyone reading this can ignore if they haven't watched yet.

The program shows the reactor operators panicking in the control room as they realise it is starting to go wrong. According to what I have read since, the control room was calm until a certain switch was operated as planned as part of the test they were running. The explosion happened soon after that switch was pressed, with the test assumed to have gone as planned up until that point.

Obviously that wouldn't make as good TV. The series is apparently best thought of as a drama rather than a completely accurate documentary.