What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this cut down ?

charley777

20201109_122752.jpg20201109_122645.jpg

I have only seen photos of this case.
It measures 75x277R ....no idea of rim diameter.
And it looks as though some of the case might be steel....
Though it may just have been dipped in phosphoric acid or some other metal cleaner (?)

A common size .but in the headstamp is 75 DEC which i would have thought would be for a 350mm long case.
Can anyone tell me about this?
Did some 75mm De Campagne guns use a shorter case?
Thanks very much

Last edited:
Hello,

I think it must be shortened. Rim Diameter is the same as the 75xx350R's have? And I couldn't imagine the it's partly of steel...

I have no opinion but this 75x277R with 90mm rim is listed in Hawkinson's book as a French field gun. Brass case.
His first edition lists this case length as used by 9 different countries but I have no dimensions to see if they are all the same.

I have no opinion but this 75x277R with 90mm rim is listed in Hawkinson's book as a French field gun. Brass case.
His first edition lists this case length as used by 9 different countries but I have no dimensions to see if they are all the same.

It could have been, but unfortunately it says what it is on the head: 75 DEC (75 de Campagne), 576th lot manufactured in 1916 reloaded in Toulouse. Looks very much like it was turned into a trench art lamp foot to me hence the hole in the primer. The 75x277R case had a different rim shape.