What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vietnamese mortar projo

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,
I found these pictures with google from vietnamese museums.

-1st photo
Looks like an improved french 58T projectile.
Other examples, diagrams, nomenclature, era ??

1.jpg

-2nd photo
First projectile ? A variant from improved 58T ??
Second projectile ? Inspiration from spanish ill mortar ??

2.jpg

these are projected items, very early in VN ar, projected from a modified or semi type recoiless weapon. Only one I have good info on is the modified 105mm
Fin stabilized projectile with fuze. The projectile is a modified U.S. 105-mm projectile. The fuze used in this projectile consists of a U.S. projectile fuze body containing a Viet Cong firing mechanism and windshield.
TYPE This is a fin stabilized, antipersonnel projectile mounted on a wooden stick. The projectile is probably fired from a recoilless rifle launcher. A delay fuze is used with this projectile.
PAINTING AND MARKINGS. The projectile and the fuze body may still have the U.S. painting and markings. Any Viet Cong painting and markings are unknown.
FEATURES. Three circumferential grooves are cut in the base end of the stick. An end cap is nailed on the base of the stick.
HAZARDOUS COMPONENTS.
The body of the projectile is filled with approximately 5 pounds of
composition. The fuze utilizes a blasting cap as a detonator, and granulated TNT (quantity unknown) as a booster. The quantity and composition of the materials in the safety fuse and primer are unknown. An auxiliary detonating fuze (ADF)
containing a 25-gram tetryl booster may be present.
DESCRIPTION.
MATERIAL. The projectile body and fins are steel. The stick is wood. The windshield of the fuze is sheet metal, and the fuze body may be aluminum or steel.
WEIGHT. The projectile with fuze weighs approximately 45 pounds.
ARRANGEMENT. The internal arrangement of the projectile is that of typical U.S. 105-mm projectiles. The fuze (figure 2) consists of a U.S. projectile fuze body with a Viet Cong firing mechanism and windshield.
Functioning.
The safety wire is removed from the fuze prior to firing. Upon setback, the striker overcomes the anticreep spring and strikes the percussion primer which, in turn, ignites the safety fuse. After a 5- to 7-second delay, the safety fuse ignites the blasting cap, initiating the explosive train.
for some reason I can not insert pictures, but I have pictures of the 105 and the other variations of the weapon.