What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burster Mk3

Scout Sniper

Hello friends,

I am currently looking to make a reproduction Burster Mk3 to fill the void in my excellent condition AC Delay tin.

I have the wooden protective transit block made and khaki fabric tape to seal.

I was wondering if anybody may have any reference pictures i could use of the burster itself. I would be extremely grateful.

I now know the thread inside it is 1/2" x 26 TPI BSB, thanks to a kind member of this forum.

Many thanks.

This one? Hopefully anyway

Attachments

• Booster-for-limpet.jpg
    Booster-for-limpet.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Boosters.jpg
    Boosters.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 54
This one? Hopefully anyway

I believe the Type 6 Mk.I is either crimped or cannelured. This one is crimped.
AC Delay Cutaway_WEB.jpg
And this one is cannelured.
Booster mk.III_WEB.jpg
And this one is the type 6 Mk.3 It is threaded on the middle.
Booster_Type 6 _Mk.II_WEB.jpg
And this detonator is the first pattern used with the M.D.1 and ES6 Limpet. It is based on an Aircraft Bomb Detonator No. 28 and is known as Burster/Detonator No. 28A
Booster Mk.I for M.D.1 and ES6 Limpet.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you both for your information and pictures. Was cool to see the rare lesser seen Mk.1 version.

I have decided to make the Mk.3 cannelured version as i cannot make the crimping look correct.

I have the brass bar stock and the correct tap and die set so i am now ready to make it. I have a day off on monday and i am going into work to use the lathe to make one.

I have made drawings so hopefully it will be a fairly precise replica. I will take pictures and add them once complete!

I have decided to make the Mk.3 cannelured version as i cannot make the crimping look correct.

I have the brass bar stock and the correct tap and die set so i am now ready to make it. I have a day off on monday and i am going into work to use the lathe to make one.
Can you make two for me, and at what cost??

I would like one or two, and some khaki fabric tape if you have a source! I'd ask you to make me the wood block but don't want to push my luck!

Hello Houndsworth,

I made three in the end but they were time consuming to make despite only being small. Mainly it was the transit cap that took the time.

I have no plans to make more currently but i can provide dimensions if required.

A friend made me the block from walnut and i got the khaki cloth tape from here.

https://worldwarwonders.co.uk/produ...ki-adhesive-tape-for-use-with-explosives-etc/

It had lost its stick but after heating with a hair dryer the sticky came back.

Here they are...

View attachment 166450
View attachment 166451

Last edited:
Does anyone know what explosives the AC Delay bursters used? I am guessing it was a two stage design because some were made with two parts screwed together and another had crimps apparently to hold something internally. Maybe a plate to separate two chemicals?