What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 Toffee Apple as AT mines ?

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,
I heard British soldiers used HE heads of 2in Toffee Apple as improvised anti tank mines.
Is it a legend ?
Regards

1918 France.jpg

The use of 2-in. trench mortar bomb heads was considered for anti-tank mine use in late 1917 (as also was their use as 50lb aerial bombs). Two factors contributed: the British Army had left a substantial number of Mk IV tanks with the Germans at Cambrai in November-December 1917; and there was a huge surplus of unwanted 2-inch ammunition available.

The attached might be of interest. The notes of January 1918 confirm consideration of the idea, and the minutes of May 1918 refer to tests of a modified No.107 MkII fuze incorporating a Mills striker for use with the proposed 2-inch TMB anti-tank mine. Limited use was made of the mines, viz the above photo, but it seems the few casualties were British Mk V tanks which ran over them as they traversed the minefields.

Attachments

• TMB A-T_2.jpg
    TMB A-T_2.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 31
  • TMB A-T_1.jpg
    TMB A-T_1.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited: