What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown, " Depth Charge- Dummy"

I saw this fibre container marked "Depth Charge Dummy". I picked it up, very heavy, unpacked it and saw what was similar to an 81mm mortar in size with no nose fuze, solid, and shrouded fin with a small propeller on the shrouded fin end. Black in color. I put it back and then was told I could not handle it ( thus I was unable to take a picture of it) but did take the picture of the shipping tube and inking. By this ink marking information, can anyone identify it? Sorry for lack of more info, but I am puzzled and my curiosity is large. Needs a seasoned Naval ordnance detective on this case.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 68
I found one reference to “ Practice Depth Charge”. Used for ASM in conjunction with sono buoys. Air dropped, the sound wave from this explosion would send out waves that bounced off a sub and a buoy could pick it up. Also used to “ warn” an enemy sub it has been detected.
7e3eb301-1667-402e-92b8-c065bf89f604
This one pictured is similar in size but a different shape.I will see if I can make an offer.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    31.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
SUPER FASCINATING!

Hope the seller works with you so you can acquire it. Would be awesome to see more photos and to learn more about it.

Jason

Jason,

if you Google NavWeps OP 2386. you will find [h=1]Depth Charge Mark 15 and Underwater Sound Signal Mark 50[/h]I think you will find some good info there.

Regards Jack