What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown fuze type. Looking for identification

Nudelmannrichter

Hi folks,

a friend asked me for some help regarding a fuze he got hold of a few.
To me it looks kinda similar to the Prussian C/61 Percussion fuze and its derivates.
But it has no safety pin and a blank off plug made from Aluminium and Zinc. The stamping is also uncommon and looks pretty much as being much more modern than pieces from the 1860-1890 period.
The numbers behind the PREC are 2-39 and also 2-40 what looks like a manufacturing date to me. The marking Mo 917 looks like it might come from a country or made for a country with roman based language like Italy, Spain, Romania etc.
If has been found by EOD personnel years ago while cleaning a WW2-used ammo disposal and stripping installation together with a lot of foreign material from WW1 to WW2. The EOD guys stripped a few and found that inside there is a striker
similar to the one of the C/61 type. No charge or primer inside. It is likely that before shooting it was necessary to change the blank off plug to a plug with a primer inside. This is also similar to the prussian type.
The question is now, from which era and country this comes and what the purpose was. My best guess is that in the 1930 somebody took the old prussian design to make training fuzes or things like that. But I am absolutely not sure.

Any ideas?

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Thanks for reading, and best regards
Nudel

Hello,
Italian fuze model 1917 (Spoletta a percussione mod. 917) with safety transit plug (a plug with primer should be screwed on top called "innesco")
Regards

mod 917.jpg

Last edited: