What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help to identify an unknown shell and text-markings

Natter

Premium Member
The father of a friend found this shell in a german infantry-campsite in may 1945. As it's obviously of allied origin, and most likely not from german WW2-use I'm a bit puzzled.

Anyway: My friend would like to know what type of grenade this was for, and also the meaning of the text found on the case:

303 BC RMX 015
1 36 SM
77 ACX 38
Vo 400
TG
A2
CHARGE M

The inner-diametre of the opening (calibre) is 3". Supposedly, there are no markings on the bottom of the case (I have requested him to examine it once more though).

3-2.jpg3-1.jpg

From the markings, French by the look of it.

As you say it's nominally 3", 76.2 cm, as such likely a French 75 mm.

The case is quite long, so probably a French 75x350R.

The muzzle velocity (V0) is lower than the standard for the Matériel de 75mm Mle 1897 gun, so maybe this is for the shorter Schneider 75mm Mountain Gun M1919 (Canon de 75 M (montagne) modèle 1919 Schneider [75 mm mle.1919]). That or it's a reduced charge for the latter.

Both guns were captured by Germany and used by their armed forces.

I'm sure someone's got far more on it than I have.

Many thanks - I'll stick to underwater ordnance in terms of speculating from now :)

Any idea of the meaning of the text besides "V0 400"?

As mentioned above V0 = muzzle velocity, i.e. the velocity at 0 m from the muzzle. So in this case the gun's nominal muzzle velocity is 400 m/s.

Yes, that's the one I do know ;-)

Well, in reality the term 'muzzle velocity' is a bit of a misnomer. This is because the projectile keeps accelerating for a short distance after it exits the barrel due to the gas outflow behind it. So in reality its peak velocity is slightly forwards of the muzzle.

The exact point when the projectile starts to decelerates depends on many factors, such as: the muzzle exit pressure; combustion gases; projectile dimensions and mass; atmospheric conditions; etc.; etc..

Many thanks - I'll stick to underwater ordnance in terms of speculating from now :)

Any idea of the meaning of the text besides "V0 400"?

Sorry, I misunderstood your request for some daft reason.

As to the other markings, only in German.

75 mm Page 1.jpg75 mm Page 2.jpg

The German text from second image that covers the image legends is below.

a = Art der Sprengladung
b = Firma und Daten der Laborierung
c = Kennzeichen, Herkunft, Lieferung und Jahr der Herstellung des Sprengstoffs
d = Lieferungsnummer der Laborierung
e = Mun. Anstaltsfertigung, wenn ein Strich, dann Industrieanfertigung
f = Kennzeichen für Einschießgeschoß (reg läge)
g = Bessemerstahl, wenn „Th" dann Thomasstahl
h = mit Bodenplatte versehen
i = Art des Rauch- und Nebelentwicklers (bei Einschießgranaten = Ph—B
oder NCB, bei Rauchgranaten = Ph—F, O—CS oder Fu—M)
k = Gewichtsklasse
l = Gewicht des Entkupferungsmittels
m = V0 des Geschosses
n = Lieferungsnummer, Firma und Jahr der Patronierung
o = Pulvergewicht, Pulversorte und Wert der Stabilität des Pulvers
qu = Muster der Zündhülse
r = Konstruktions- bzw. Einführungsjahr
s = Zeichen für die Art des Materials [Fonte Gußeisen, FA Fonte aciere = Stahlguß, A = acier = Stahl, AL = Gütezeichen für den Guß
t = Kennzeichnung der Schießübungsgeschosse
u = Ort und Firma der Zünder, Zündladung usw.
v = Kennzeichen für Leuchtgeschoß
w = Zahlenkennzeichen und abgekürzte Benennung des Kampfstoffes
x = Art des Leuchtspursatzes (TA = Aluminium, TM = Magnesium)
y - Kennzeichen für Brandgeschoß mit Modellangabe z Kennzeichen für verminderte Ladung