What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm Oerlikon (presumably German)

Joolz

Hi,

Part of a job lot of inert ammo I picked up, my first foray into this kind of stuff (and my first post on here), I was wondering if someone on here could guide me as to whether the case matches the projectile, or whether they are a marriage made in hell...of course, any other interesting info would be much appreciated.

First one:

Case is headstamped 40 55h BK with an S(I think)54 WaA stamp
Projectile is painted bmv 3k 115gr with bmv stamp
German 20 x 80 RB - A1.jpgGerman 20 x 80 RB - A2.jpgGerman 20 x 80 RB - A3.jpg

Second one:

Case is also headstamped 40 55h BK with an S(I think)54 WaA stamp
Projectile has 1940 35 (something)84 A7 1504 AU around the fuze

German 20 x 80 RB - B1.jpgGerman 20 x 80 RB - B2.jpgGerman 20 x 80 RB - B3.jpg

And the third:

Case is headstamped 39 11f P490 with an S(I think)54 WaA stamp
Projectile has AZ1502DWM11 5b 39 (S54 - I think, very small -WaA stamp) II around the fuze

German 20 x 80 RB - C1.jpgGerman 20 x 80 RB - C2.jpgGerman 20 x 80 RB - C3.jpg

Look ok to me. Except for the new paint that is.
1) Panzergranate Uebung ohne Zerleger MG FF(M) (Practice armour piercing non self-destroying)
2) Sprenggranate Leuchtspur mit Zerleger MG FF(M) (High explosive tracer, self destroying)
3) Minengranate ohne Zerleger MG FF(M) (High explosive mine shell, non-self destroying)IMG_4710 (2).jpg

Thanks, good to know. I did wonder about the paint, but the collection was put together many decades ago, so I wasn't sure if original or not.

There was also a German 13 x 64 and a 15 x 96:
German 13 x 64 - 1.jpgGerman 13 x 64 - 2.jpg

German 15 x 96 - 2.jpgGerman 15 x 96 - 1.jpgGerman 15 x 96 - 3.jpg

As well as some Breda and Hispano, which I'll post on another day, again just to be sure it is what it's supposed to be.

Thanks again.

Nice rounds Joolz. Never seen a brass 15x96 case before, just lacquered green/grey steel cases. Can't see date on headstamp but must be early 1939-40 dated.

Bear.

Hello, does the basefuze / baseplug screw in all the way with the blind load inserted?
This may be an actual Pzgr. AP round (no energetic load, no tracer, no selfdestruction). Is there an acceptance stamp in the drivingband or in the projectile body?

P.s. the MGFF was not an Oerlikon weapon, though based on the Oerlikon, it was designed by Ikaria Werke.

Last edited: