What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rifle grenade ID question

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
I'm trying to come up with a decent identification on this rifle grenade, but keep running into walls due to a lack of decent info. Another problem I have is that so many of the European manufacturers made so many damned export versions, and you get the same grenade with many different markings. Thanks Belgium.

This looks a lot like an Instalaza M61 to me, but the markings? Doesn't show up in the US grenade ID guides from the 90s and earlier, at least not that I've found so far, and Lexpev doesn't do much on rifle grenades. Any assistance is appreciated.

DSC_0336.jpgDSC_0337.jpg

Maybe for Argentina (they used belgian FAL rifle).
They used several 62mm rifle grenades, PAF62 series (but never seen this model in service).

Last edited:
I only know this type of rifle grenade by the official dutch name:'Geweergranaat, antitankbrisant, ATB Nr 4' (Riflegrenat HEAT ATB No4) , also called the Energa Geweergranaat (Energa Rifle grenade)
They were produced in the Netherlands by AI
Regards, DJH

Last edited:
As this is a sectioned example, did it ever enter service? or is it merely a concept/sales model? Apparently the Energa had a reputation for delivering the rifleman a violent recoil, perhaps this was a proposed solution.

If all else fails, you could try - marketing@mecar.be I'm sure they've got records on their products going back 60+ years, but if they're willing to share them is another matter.

TimG

Last edited:
DJ, all of the Dutch versions I've seen did not have shrouded fins, but my references are far from complete.
eec4e8e532e1ed1e626fe15c16f8ecae.jpg

So many countries used the Energa design, it is a real pain. I've even done some basic image searches on the net, just to see if it could provide a lead that might be followed - just a mess. Here are a couple of pictures that come up next to each other. Note the top item on each.

Energa_and_other_rifle_grenades.jpg Instalaza_and_other_rifle_grenades.jpg