What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grenade Identification

Thanks, very interesting. The split on the forward end of my example doesn't look like impact damage, do any of the Polish smokes have a low-explosive dissemination charge?

This is the only one matching. You can even read DGN on Your specimen. The manual aso describes that the soldier simply inserted thhe RDG into the chamber of the DGN. As the RDG-2 is made of paper there are no tight tolerances possible. It is not obvious from the drawing but the two halves might be "spring loaded" to hold the RDG-2.

Bob

This one looks like the Fallschirmleuchtgranate to me, but at a body length of 30x102mm, is it long enough? And on most of the pictures I have seen the bottom is dark - steel?

IMG_2053.jpg

Then there is this one. A drill/dummy for the VOG-17M, but whose? Initially I thought E. German because of the EX, but the Cyrillic "VOG" makes me wonder. Bulgaria?
DSC_9629.jpg
Thanks in advance.

Found this picture in my archive, I do not remember where it came from.
sorry dogtagman for violating the copyright.

Please look at the 5th from the right. Looks like the one You have.

Bob

Attachments

• Falls.jpg
    Falls.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 40
I realize that this is not a grenade, but as I've seen several occasions where it was misidentified I have it double listed for identification purposes. I was looking for one of the threads where these were discussed, but cannot find it, I'm sure I am using the wrong search terms. As I recall is it a navy signal or SUS type piece, I've seen them in racks, and made or marked by several different European countries. Can someone steer me in the right direction?

IMG_2061.jpg IMG_2062.jpg

Thanks, by my very limited understanding of the document, the live version is for neutralizing underwater mines?

Google translate of the german text :

General
The firecrackers are placed in the order 9 DM31, 3 DM21, 1 DM10, 2 DM11 in a magazine, which is located in an ejection device on board ships. The 15 bangers are ejected within approx. 4 seconds. In a water depth of approx. 6 meters, the firecrackers (except DM10) come into play. Create the explosive charges a bang of detonation that neutralizes the acoustic ignition devices of underwater mines.

Construction
The models DM11, DM21 and DM31 are functionally identical and almost identical. They differ in the mass of explosives, which are supplemented by inert fillings of different weights to the total mass of 250 g. The explosive charges are initiated by the powerful mechanical detonator. The models DM11, DM21 and DM 31 are labeled in yellow. The DM10 model largely corresponds to the combat models, but only contains an inert filling of barite and additives. The Ex-KK-DM 10 is inert. The explosive device is labeled in white.

Next item, I got two of these out of Germany years ago, the blue one and a partial white one, still filled with talc. I've never found a document to even confirm them as German. Anyone?

DSC_3692.jpg

There were some trials in the UK in the 1960s. The grenades were provided by Dynamit Nobel Genschow GMBH in the following variations:

Training Grenade Type 2 (white talc filled)
Training Grenade Type 4 (flash and bang - red talc filled)
Training Grenade Type 5 (white smoke)
Training Grenade Type 6 (black smoke)

Christmas vacation time, so I am back in the Bombatorium working on inventory cleanup. A couple more items -

This item came to me tagged as Belgian, but I'm thinking it looks more like a variation of the French Mle 40/56? It is HEAT and still has the cone, but no markings or stamps.

I've asked before but will ask again, is there a decent reference on Belgian rifle grenades? The varieties seem endless, and with exports can be very difficult to ID. Some don't even seem to have been given model numbers. I'm forever mixing them up with French. The US grenade manuals help with some, but I'm not always certain of the reliability of the 1970-80s documents.

DSC_0334.jpg

First post : same shape as 60's era 40mm Heat-frag Strim M32 (French used a similar with some external differences, model 1956 and APAV F1)

Second post :
-1 Belgian prac
-2 shape of heat-frag Strim 32mm model 1952
-3 I know this grenade by another post as 55mm belgian practrice
-4 : maybe you are in a better place to ID this improvement of rifle M15

Last edited:
Thanks, in regard to the M15, I'm pretty sure that it is not a US variant. I purchased it at the military show in Arlon, around 1999-2000. I saw a few more of them in different places in Europe, but could never find an ID, and for a while suspected maybe it was faked, though it seems like a lot of work and a clean M15 would be worth more by itself. It was not expensive, no fancy story attached and the work seems high for a cheap fake, so that seems inconsistent with most fakes as well. I'm still not certain. Any model numbers on either of the Belgian practice pieces?

IMG_2132.jpg