What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it a practice bomb?

Anders

Ordnance Approved/premium membership
Ordnance approved
Anyone know what this is. Weight is about 300 grams.
It was found on the beach. My first thought was that it could be a ship log, but it is not possible to attach a line to the nose.
Unknown 1.jpgUnknown 2.jpg
Also the fins are not angled as they are on a ship log.
ship log.jpg

In my experience a practice bomb would have 4 fins Is there a suspension point around the centre of gravity or indexing holes in the body

I encountered something similar in the north of England in the late 1980s. A series of similar objects to this were strung across a river on steel wire. If I remember correctly their purpose was as a kind of water flow measuring device. I cannot be any more specific than that. One had been taken about 1/4 mile downstream and lobbed in the river. I was tasked to the report of a bomb in a river. I stripped to my underpants and went in the river to retrieve it. The police there were smirking!