What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German HEAT 7.7CM

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,
Pictures from previous post (US-SUBS - Aberdeen).
An interesting german 7.7cm HL. Maybe an expermental shell made during the 30's. (as far as I know 7.7cm guns were in service at the begining of ww2).
Not sure of efficiency because of the massive fuze in front of the shaped charge (??)

ICE-AH-164-4%2075mm - Copie.JPGICE-AH-164-45.JPG

Last edited:
Nonono, it's a F.K.Gr.11 (universal shell) with suitable internal parts (steel disc missing) and a L.K.Z.16 (wrong fuze for this shell). So nothing special, millions of pieces produced...

I think you held every part in your hands many times at work :biggrin:

Correct for this shell would be a K.Z.11 or K.Z.11 l.B. (not K.Z.11.Gr)

Last edited:
Nonono, it's a F.K.Gr.11 (universal shell) with suitable internal parts (steel disc missing) and a L.K.Z.16 (wrong fuze for this shell). So nothing special, millions of pieces produced...

I think you held every part in your hands many times at work :biggrin:

Correct for this shell would be a K.Z.11 or K.Z.11 l.B. (not K.Z.11.Gr)

Yes I agree Alpini, but displayed with this strange combination on this picture (serious source).
Wrong fuze, wrong internal part, full green, unfired...Someone tried something.
The fuze seems to be empty, as a ballistic cap.

wrong internal part

Why? It's correct in my opinion...

This shell has characteristics for a production at the beginning of WW1 and production stopped before the end of the war because of it's ineffectiveness. The color isn't original it was repainted with modern color over the still rusty surface without a primer like other shells from this collection too. Half of the driving band is missing - for me a typical examination piece.

The steel body of the L.K.Z.16 isn't even hardened but the shrapnel shell body is tempered and would break immediately on impact on a hard surface (a bad concrete would be hard enough)

Last edited:
When I saw this post and looked at the brass part it realy looked like shape charge liner. :)
I had to look up the shrapnel.
Can someone share a pic of a cutaway, please?

Bob

I understand what means Alpini, but I never seen a complete dismantled 7.7cm Gr11.
So you think such a brass cup shoud close the top charge ? No too resistant for transmission to the charge when fired as an HE shell ?

7.7 gr11.jpg

Sorry Alpini, this strange shell is maybe an homemade device, I only want to show again this strange combo from the museum.

Yes it's the original cup, they exist in steel too.

Didn't a french BOCN member post a cutaway of this shell recently? Just don't have the time to search at moment.

Yes it's the original cup, they exist in steel too.

Didn't a french BOCN member post a cutaway of this shell recently? Just don't have the time to search at moment.

my mistake :tinysmile_cry_t2:

Very funny, maybe they made the first shell with shaped charge without knowning it !

Last edited:
Hehe, yes some of the german 2nd WW shaped charge shells have a similar looking cup inside.

A very long time ago I took this picture of the complete parts of the F.K.G.11. As far as I know not all shells had the smoke charge (the aluminium can). The black powder charge on bottom was in an aluminium only on shells from old stock.

Attachments

• F.K.G.11.jpg
    F.K.G.11.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
In Germany these shells were also used blind loaded (closed with a flat zinc screw). After impact the cup then looks like trench art :)

Attachments

• F.K.G.11_practise.jpg
    F.K.G.11_practise.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 36
Hehe, yes some of the german 2nd WW shaped charge shells have a similar looking cup inside.

A very long time ago I took this picture of the complete parts of the F.K.G.11. As far as I know not all shells had the smoke charge (the aluminium can). The black powder charge on bottom was in an aluminium only on shells from old stock.

Thank you. Very interesting picture. It's the first time I see a complete internal part.
Uncommon construction !

The two holes in opposite side on the screwed head of this K GR 11 universal shell are for fixing the protecting cup of the K Z 11 fuze. So really the LKZ 16 is not for this shell