What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bomb for ID

Chris

Ordnance approved
Can anone identify this bomb. It looks a lot like the old Dutch 8 Kg bomb but this one is bigger.
The bomb tail is different then the one on the 8 kg.

Length 98 cm
Diameter 11.5 cm
Yellow body (what you can see) 43.5 cm

Regards,

Chris

Attachments

• Bom.JPG
    Bom.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 114
Looks a lot like the US, but I don't remember a support between the fins.

Yes Jeff that is indead a big problem the support.
By the way everything fine with you and your family?

Chris

Reasonably well. Covid is running rampant, two grandkids had it, one with no symptoms, one was briefly hospitalized. Wife had a cousin that showed symptoms, was hospitalized, then died two days later of a heart attack with no prior issues - end result is that we are keeping a low profile, work is exposure enough. Most of my collecting is currently through the internet. Not preferred, but it keeps the bullets coming in.

On the WWI US bombs the support bars may not be a big deal. While I have never seen them on the converted projectiles, the 25lb and 50lb bombs were commonly found either with or without. Possibly a modification program done as they were being made obsolete - good use of taxpayer money.

Jeff found two pictures with I think the same tail with holes for the support bars.
Fine everything is oke now.

Chris

Attachments

• Foto Geel Staart.jpg
    Foto Geel Staart.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Foto Geel.jpg
    Foto Geel.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 52
Are you shure that's he right fuze. It looks a lot like a mortar fuze.
Regards, DJH

Jeff had a better look not the same tail.
DJ I was looking for the same tail did not even look at the fuze (sorry)

Chris

Hello Chris,
As you noticed the bomb have a french ww1 style, something like a 120mm shell modified.
I dont' konw this one.
US 17lb was also a 3in modified shell, and I assume from french inspiration.