What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for a vintage (WW2ish) Submarine Torpedo tube hatch /door and other "bits"

Dronic69

Premium Member
Guys,

I'm after a vintage submarine torpedo tube hatch /door similar to the following:

hatch.jpg

Does anyone know where one may be available for sale?

Or perhaps which specific naval ship breaking location may have them?

Also seeking an early torpedo nose + pistol similar to the following:

Torp nose.jpg

All thoughts welcome.

Thanks
Cheers
Drew

As for torpedo hatch there is a scrap yard at Portsmouth know as Pounds scrap yard that deals with Royal navy scrap, they are still there. They did have submarine's in there for breaking. Not sure if anyone here lives in Portsmouth who has their number.

Thanks Chris,

I hope you are well!

Yeah - I have heard of the Pounds scrapyard but only appear to be contactable via their FB page, in which they never seem to reply to messages.

I sent them a "new" message. :tinysmile_cry_t:

Cheers
Drew

does it need to be a real one or would a replica be ok. Theres a movie prop maker on FB that does amazing work

Really after the "real McCoy" - for the number of old subs that get scrapped over the years surely a couple would "crop up"..............

Hey Tim,

Yep - they are indeed bronze - a couple turned up for auction in the US early last year (ex-seafood restaurant closure) and sold for ~$1,500 USD each. The shipping cost alone would have been doubled that...............perhaps I should have grabbed one then.

Nice to have but serious money to hang it on the wall (Funny - Wife suggested to mount it on the ceiling!!!!)

They are unique enough to attract my eccentric collecting interest..........which is a worry!!!! [Perhaps I should stick to collecting just torpedo pistols]

Thank you for the company closure information.

Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• 2281A_16.jpg
    2281A_16.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 2281A_15.jpg
    2281A_15.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 2281A_14.jpg
    2281A_14.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 2281A_13.jpg
    2281A_13.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 19
  • 2281A_11.jpg
    2281A_11.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I am fine mate. At one time you could just drive there under the motorway and into the yard, you had to go to over the bridge to the large roundabout then turn left about 500 yards into a stadium and cross over waste ground back under the bridge you crossed over into the yard. they still seem to be there, maybe trading under a different name most probally. Under the motorway bridge there were stacks of huge projectiles about 16 or 18 inch. Have a look on google earth.
Have you tried the Naval museum in Gosport, they seem to have surplus items or could point you in the direction of a current Naval scrap dealer.

Thanks Chris,

I hope you are well!

Yeah - I have heard of the Pounds scrapyard but only appear to be contactable via their FB page, in which they never seem to reply to messages.

I sent them a "new" message. :tinysmile_cry_t:

Cheers
Drew

Last edited:
Thank you to both of you!!!

@Chris,
Great idea - I actually have (had?) a couple of contacts at the Explosion Museum so I "ping" them

@Reccetrooper
Funny I remember stumbling across their website and perhaps did not explore deeply enough as their homepage (typical of many marine websites) display the more non-naval marine salvage - will "ping" them as well.

Cheers
Drew