What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this a Navel marking

Gspragge

Premium Member
This is a marking on a Ross bayonet.
The image is not great but it looks like the letter N
is present. Eventually I will have it in hand and get a better image.
Ross bayonets and rifles were widely issued to the RN after they were withdrawn
from the front and some were also purchased directly, used into ww2.

Attachments

• Brit issue ebay group-2 .jpg
    Brit issue ebay group-2 .jpg
    35 KB · Views: 31
Why did Royal Canadian Navy use Ross rifles which were deemed not service worthy by the Army?

Why did Royal Canadian Navy use Ross rifles which were deemed not service worthy by the Army?

Hi Vlad,

Perhaps this is why:

The Ross rifle is a straight-pull bolt action .303 inch-calibre rifle that was produced in Canada from 1903 until 1918.[1]
The Ross Mk.II (or "model 1905") rifle was highly successful in target shooting before World War I, but the close chamber tolerances, lack of primary extraction and overall length made the Mk.III (or "1910") Ross rifle unsuitable for the conditions of trench warfare, exacerbated by the often poor quality ammunition issued.[2]
By 1916, the rifle had been withdrawn from front line service, but continued to be used by many snipers of the Canadian Expeditionary Force until the end of the war due to its exceptional accuracy

I guess the Canadian Navy didn't have the same "trench warfare issues" as the army had............

Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_rifle

When they were withdrawn they went to the Royal Navy (in exchange for the Enfields we were issued) and replace the Arisakas then in use which
were sent off to Russia.
Some, lots were also directly purchased from the Ross company for use -

So back to the question of the marking~