What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone else here watch the flight radar 24 site?

Falcon

I have taken to watching flight radar 24 occasionally to pass time during the past year. I have been interested in aircraft since I was a very young kid, which is partly what got me interested in ordnance.

I had been hearing very loud, low droning turboprops passing overhead, usually during the night for the last few years.

It turns out that some of the loudest can be Antonov AN-12 and AN-26 turboprop transports. These can sometimes seem like they make the building slightly vibrate when passing at heights of over 20,000 feet.

I now often find myself opening the page when I hear any aircraft passing overhead. I also frequently see RAF A400Ms passing over London, often flying from RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus.

Worth a look if you are at all interested in aircraft.

https://www.flightradar24.com/

Have used flightaware.com in the past. Had not heard of flightradar, which looks to be better as it gives better aircraft info.

Flightradar 24 is my goto site when my boys ask where is the airplane going.
Once we saw a plane that was not on the FR24. Upon inspection with the binoculars it turned out to be a C17 transport.
It is also interesting to see some of the flights disapear over mediteranian sea from time to time.

Bob

I have the Plane Finder AR appt on my iPhone - you point your camera up at an aircraft overhead when you're out and about and it annotates the image (augmented reality) with details of the flight, pretty cool :) it may just show info on commercial flights though?

I like using flight radar a lot. My friend screenshots his finds. Like Dutch F-35s and the other day a U-2!

When it's loud over my area it's almost always some jets and a large plane doing refueling maneuvers. And it's not the large plane producing the loud sound :)

My father loved the flight-radar (he had much time alone at home) :)

Living in the SE corner of the UK we get a lot of low and high level flights, plus a lot of business and private aviation. We regularly get two seat Spitfires from Headcorn and Biggin Hill doing flights to the White Cliffs at Dover, plus we have a local Hurricane and a P51. So it's worth checking on Flightradar24 to see what is operating nearby. The information on the site is very good. For ships, I use VesselFinder which can also be very interesting.

Why is that the high altitude "Chem Trail" planes never appears to show up on the flight radar?