What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AN-M26 WW2 smoke aerial bomb

I have found TM references on this bomb, but I would like to hear opinions and information
about the rarity and collectibility. How many produced? The National US Air Force museum has a few examples.
I was unable to find any more information on internet.

Attachments

• 76DC507A-64D1-4588-8D09-8BCA1FE1080E.jpeg
    76DC507A-64D1-4588-8D09-8BCA1FE1080E.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 54
All bombs are good, some are better than others. So sure, its collectable. Rare.... nope. I've got 2, have moved on several others to other collectors and still see more occasionally. If it is as well marked as the one you show it is a good find, many are repainted. Note that you have it identified incorrectly, it is a flare, not smoke. The M84 smoke is rare, as is the M47 WP smoke with original markings. This one is probably the second most common of the WWII bombs, coming in just behind the variants of the 100lb practice.

IMG_2111.jpg

Last edited:
All bombs are good, some are better than others. So sure, its collectable. Rare.... nope. I've got 2, have moved on several others to other collectors and still see more occasionally. If it is as well marked as the one you show it is a good find, many are repainted. Note that you have it identified incorrectly, it is a flare, not smoke. The M84 smoke is rare, as is the M47 WP smoke with original markings. This one is probably the second most common of the WWII bombs, coming in just behind the variants of the 100lb practice.

View attachment 165761
Thank you. I can tell you Milestone, OH just had a militaria auction and that was from their auction. I decided not to bid on it, it brought $375 ( from memory) plus 23 percent commision and shipping. Bidding started at $100 I believe. I was rather amazed at some of the realized prices for quality militaria, the market still appears to be doing well.

With the lack of shows and such many folks are getting desperate for anything new. I know I am.