What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PG9 dimensions

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,
What is the real length of HEAT projectile PG9 (with fuze and fins undeployed)
Lot of documentations and lot of different dimensions !
Variants have same dimensions ?

Examples : Pg9, Pg9g, Pg9 Prac

PG9.jpgPG9G.jpgPG9 PRAC.jpg etc

Firstly it's PG-9 (ПГ-9) with a hyphen and with the letters in upper case as it's an acronym. The PG acronym short for Protivotankovoy Granatoy (Противотанковой Гранатой), so literally antitank grenade (Ivan will have to check the Russian spelling).

Secondly there's no PG-9G (ПГ-9Г) rocket-boosted projectile. That was the designation of the warhead, well grenade (Granata - Граната), section for the original PG-9 projectile. Likewise its motor (Dvigatel - Двигатель) section was designated as the PG-9D (ПГ-9Д). It's similar to the PG-7G/PG-7D warhead/motor sections of the PG-7 projectile. These sub-desginations were dropped with the next versions of the projectiles (PG-7M/PG-9S).

Thirdly the practice projectiles have an 'I' after them, so PG-9I (ПГ-9И). The 'I' presumably short for inert (Инерт).

As to the lengths, if the US DIA 'DIA Reference Document - Projectile and Warhead Identification Guide - Foreign' document can be trusted, the lengths are (with the fuze in place, the fins undeployed, and the coupling plug in place): PG-9 = 787.4 mm; PG-9I = 787.4 mm; PG-9S (ПГ-9С) = 773.4 mm; PG-9S1 (ПГ-9С1) = 773.4 mm.

As to why the practice version's length seems to be way out, it may simply be wrong. That or it's a practice version of the PG-9S that has been measured without the coupling plug in place, though that should only subtract about 11 mm from the overall length.

From the few images I can find, the inert practice version of the PG-9S/S1 doesn't have an 'I' after the 'S'/'S1'.

2.jpg

Last edited:
Firstly it's PG-9 (ПГ-9) with a hyphen and with the letters in upper case as it's an acronym. The PG acronym short for Protivotankovoy Granatoy (Противотанковой Гранатой)
One small correction. ;)
The correct Russian nominative form is Protivtankovaya Granata - Противтанковая Граната.