What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ammunition for 2 inch Bomb Thrower Mark 1 in Staghound Armored Car

M8owner

I have a friend the US restoring one of these armored cars to operational status. He reports it is equipped with a 2 inch Bomb Thrower Mark 1. He believes it uses the same ammunition as the British 2 inch mortar. The bomb thrower is fitted to the turret with a fixed firing angle and fired from the inside. You adjust range with a valve that vents gas from the chamber. It has three settings, full vent, partial vent, closed. He believes it was only used to fire smoke rounds. Does anyone have a manual for this weapon? Does it use standard 2 inch mortar ammunition? Thank you in advance for your help.

Steve,

You are looking for TM9-293 from June, 1944. That's the U.S. manual for the M3 mortar, which I think is identical to the British Mk1. I should have a copy but can't find it at the moment.