What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Post War British Bombs Information

_Scooter98_

Gday all.

I'm looking for info about post war British Bombs. Finding info about WWII ordnance is easy enough, but when it comes to Post-WWII I'm having next to no luck. I've sent in a few inquiries to museums and a few of my mates in the ADF are having a look to see if they can find anything remotely similar but nothing as of yet (and likely wont be till after Christmas).

There is this informative post by 'Dreamk' http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threa...-WWII-question?p=285012&viewfull=1#post285012
But I'm looking for significantly more information, preferably from an official source but at this rate I'll take anything.

Info I'm after is what AP 1661B: Vol 1 provides, but for post war bombs (As far as I can tell the successor document is 'AIR 10/5672': https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C3305342)
Would anyone happen to have a copy of 'AIR 10/5672' or an equivalent document available? (If one is available on the website I am unable to download as I do not have access)

Something that contains; bomb Mks, differences between marks, tail units, fuzes, filling weight, dimensions, identification colouring and markings, etc.
MC 1000lb Mk III+
MC 500lb Mk XIV+

I'm after any info I can find but an official source is preferable.

Cheers in advance.
Merry Christmas
_Scooter98_

AP 1661B is the Air Publication that deals with bombs. Like the vast majority of service publications it is kept current by amendments. There comes a time when publications become so heavily amended that they are re-issued with all current amendments incorporated.

The National Archives hold two editions of AP 1661B -

Catalogue Reference AIR 10/4389 which has a start date of 1941, from memory it includes amendments to at least the end of WWII.

AIR 10/5672 is the Catalogue Reference for AP 1661B that commences in 1949 and includes amendments up to 1971.

The former is a sizeable document, I don't know about the latter edition, but suspect it to be likewise.

TimG

AP 1661B is the Air Publication that deals with bombs. Like the vast majority of service publications it is kept current by amendments. There comes a time when publications become so heavily amended that they are re-issued with all current amendments incorporated.

The National Archives hold two editions of AP 1661B -

Catalogue Reference AIR 10/4389 which has a start date of 1941, from memory it includes amendments to at least the end of WWII.

AIR 10/5672 is the Catalogue Reference for AP 1661B that commences in 1949 and includes amendments up to 1971.

The former is a sizeable document, I don't know about the latter edition, but suspect it to be likewise.

TimG

Cheers for the info Tim!

Unfortunately no luck finding anything for 1949 edition on my end. Archives are closed too so I cant request a copy or have a mate 'volunteer' to do my dirty work :xd: