What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 Serbian 75mm mountain gun? Krupp export?

Vasco Da Gama

The pictured case turned up recently, probably made in 1908 or 1913, and has me baffled. I can read a little Cyrillic, but some of the characters on this case are not familiar to me. I think the case is for a variation of the Krupp 75mm L14 M1904 mountain gun, however slightly longer, length 122, rim 89 and mouth 77mm. The other cases I have for this gun are around 119mm and of slightly different shape. I don’t think it has been cut; if it has the work has been done very well and the rim diameter matches the L14 M1904 cases. Pictured against a Bulgarian case for this gun (on the right) the headstamp is clearly different. My thoughts turn to Serbia? Happy to be educated!
I hope you all can enjoy some part of the Christmas break and all the best for 2021.
FA29B852-D053-4116-8BD0-A0B1A7449203.jpg7ECB88CD-22A7-4A5D-9F93-C8F44C6982BA.jpg47FB24E7-3750-4CC1-A847-6373894EEB58.jpgBF92145E-2E1C-4D2E-982C-6B5B6F0D33D7.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, can't translate the Cyrillic markings, however I am pretty sure this case was made in France at the Manufacture d'Issy les Moulineaux, usually MAI but here only marked "I" and that's the 13th lot of 1908.

Last edited:
Both are bulgarian, before the war also Schneider delivered to Bulgaria. During war of course Schneider not longer delivered to Bulgaria - but Germany and Austria did. But they had a lot of trouble because Bulgaria was unable to pay their bills and near the end of the war they tried to get some stocks of ammunition for the time after the war for free :)

Your case even has the bulgarian lion.

Last edited:
Thank you both Alpini and Doppz92, I think the comments about Schneider are well made, pictured is a case which conforms to a very similar marking scheme; the triangles are very similar. The 5 characters to the right of the 08 could produce a sound similar to Schneid. The best I can do for the characters to the right of the 75 is Planensko, there are characters in the next section which I do not recognise.
Schneider did export to both Serbia and Bulgaria, any thoughts on the gun?
Posting at the same time! Thank you Alpini for additional information on the Lion monogram! Issy is a good thought for the I as most Cyrillic style alphabets do not use this character, in the same way the case has a Latin L and I think the same letter in Cyrillic form! A fine mix of language on an export item!

Attachments

• 1C30D198-FBEC-414B-97F5-7DCE97A9527B.jpg
    1C30D198-FBEC-414B-97F5-7DCE97A9527B.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
The 5 characters to the right of the 08 could produce a sound similar to Schneid. The best I can do for the characters to the right of the 75 is Planensko

Planinsko = Mountain. Any yes the other word is Schneider abbreviated. Last Word means Gun. No idea about C.C. (S.S.) but I guess a Bulgarian member will know.

Having had a look through some reference material it would appear Schneider exported 36 x 75mm mountain guns to Bulgaria in 1907. These guns may have been designated the Model 1907, a box trail L16 weapon which dismantled into 5 parts, firing a 5.1kg projectile with a maximum range of 6km.
I suspect this case was brought to the UK as a souvenir of the British/ French campaign in Salonica in WW1.
I am surprised as to how similar the French case is to the German Krupp export ones for the L14 mountain gun, always something to learn!

I am surprised as to how similar the French case is to the German Krupp export ones for the L14 mountain gun, always something to learn!

The Bulgarian strategy was to buy compatible (regarding the ammunition and tools like fuze setters) guns + ammunition in France and Germany to always have one ally for supplies when being at war with the other one. That's why a lot of French and German guns + ammunition can be found there. A good looking ahead strategy.

Last edited: