What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37x94mm case headstamps

earni74

Premium Member
Its not like me to clean cases, but i cleaned these 5 only to pass some time, note the 8 re-load punch marks on the 1889 case, anyone know best way to clean the inside of the cases ??

Attachments

• 20201222_104907 (1).jpg
    20201222_104907 (1).jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 20201222_104847 (1).jpg
    20201222_104847 (1).jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 62
I use hydrochloric acid concentrated poured in if it has a primer or plug the primer hole. You could dilute a bit if you wish but not as effective or quick.
It bubbles if there is powder residue but do not leave it for more than 30 seconds. Rinse with hot water then use 0000 grade steel wool bunched on a split wooden stick.
Then fill with sodium Bicarbonate solution and let stand for 10 minutes. Hot water again and steel wool then dry with a hair drier. Polish with steel wool inside again.
I spray a varnish sealer inside the case or use a long cotton bud dipped in the varnish to finish.

This seems severe but works well. Other mild acids etc would also work but I have not tried them.
I dip a cotton bud in the acid and rub all over the outside of the case IF it needs cleaning or to remove green or black stains and proceed as above.
I think I hear some collectors moaning but we need to read the headstamps on our collection cases and this cleans with less abrasion and once usually works OK.
All comments, criticism and alternative methods gladly accepted.

Your cases look OK cleaned. They can tarnish back with time if you desire this finish.
I sometimes ignore the weak bicarbonate wash on the inside of a case. It leaves a yellow-green coating that has to be removed before varnishing.

Last edited:
Thanks ron for the shopping list, i will give that a try in the new year, all the best
Mick

Phosphoric acid also works very well for brass and it isn't producing corrosive fumes like HCl. Because of it's viscousness (it's like syrup) it is perfect to apply with an old toothbrush. It's more expensive than HCl but lasts much longer.

if I remember correctly from my days working in a plating and processing plant phosphoric acid is nasty stuff, it will eat away glass. Ceramic hob cleaner works well on most brass being citric acid and mild abrasive and fairly harmless, got rid of by a good rise. There are other more vigorous chemical mixes using white vinegar and other stuff (have a look at cartridge reloading case cleaning on the internet) but what ever chemicals you use it can make cracks appear. I had a .38spl case crack in the vinegar mix that looked perfect before immersion.

if I remember correctly from my days working in a plating and processing plant phosphoric acid is nasty stuff, it will eat away glass.

Sorry but you don't remember well. Phosphoric acid isn't destroying glass. I think you mean hydrofluoric acid which is often used to clean Inox after welding. Phosphoric acid is much less harmful to skin and eyes than hydrochloric acid and it's used in Cola and also food.

Last edited: