What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SOE Switch No.5 Mk.1 Pressure Safety Pin

Scout Sniper

Hello all,

I have a Switch No.5 Mk.1 pressure and the safety pin is missing.

In the interest of keeping things as original as possible does anybody know the dimensions of the original pin? I don't really work with imperial so i need help.

Also what is the finish? Mild steel, zinc plated or brass?

Many thanks

I will try to find my Switch No5 Mk1 and give dimensions of the safety pin in mm for you. Not sure where I stored them at this time.

Switch b.jpgSwitch a.jpgThe split pin looks like zinc coated but the head looks like normal steel?
Split pin is 1.5mm diam., 40.5mm long, 3.5mm loop diam, cord is 1.5mm? light brown. 4 wraps around the body then tucked under as shown.

No. 5 switch safety pins.jpg

Here are the only two I have with safety pins. The unpainted one below has a long split pin and I don't know if long ones were issued. For the record it is 2.52 inches long overall if straightened. The eye is .158 inch across and is oval, like most split pins, not round. The material is half-round steel wire .033 by .059 inch. One leg is .15 inch shorter than the other.

The 1972 dated switch has a piece of .036 round steel wire bent at 90 degrees and is 2.625 overall. Looks home-made but it does the job.

Hope this helps.

John
"I would be anal but I'm too much a perfectionist"

Last edited:
.036 is 20 swg or 0.9mm

It is a common size of florist's wire.

Last edited: