What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm hispano crate

kiwieod

was lucky to find 2 of these nice boxes.very rarely see these but we must have used thousands of them so dont know where they all went

Attachments

• P1040202.jpg
    P1040202.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 88
  • P1040203.jpg
    P1040203.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 61
20mm SAPIR.jpegA very interesting box. First time I have seen the use of a SAPIR round, maybe alternate in belt with a Ball round as I see 25 rounds of each.
The SAPIR or semi-API Representing round is in the centre of this photo.

Markings on the box indicate 2 BALL/ 2 SAPI/R alternating. The SAPI/R was a handy round for use on non-HE ranges.

heres the inside,i dont know whats with the funny cutouts in the lid,maybe they just used what they had as it was only packing
also a photo of some american women loading/checking hispano delinkers with all ball rounds ,probably for practice firing

Attachments

• P1040204.jpg
    P1040204.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 37
  • P1040205.jpg
    P1040205.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 45
Not sure why the lid has that inside form, though seems to be standard on all the ones i've seen, so likely a cut out for link or such.
Those 'delinkers' are Belt Feed Mechanisms.

heres some photos of the correct rounds in links for this box.i also noticed about the "mixed links"(on the end of the box) made by WBB.the green links that i have are stamped WBB,so does this mean that green and black links were mixed on a belt?
also shown are end links for the hispano.this link is placed on the end of the belt to hold the last round in the feed mechanism to prevent it from becoming loose in the gun
who is the maker WBB?

Attachments

• P1040209.jpg
    P1040209.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 35
  • P1040208.jpg
    P1040208.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 35
  • P1040207.jpg
    P1040207.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 45
  • P1040206.jpg
    P1040206.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 47
  • P1040213.jpg
    P1040213.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 41
Thanks kiwieod for the belt photo and correcting me on the load sequence- I missed reading that box print. My photo shows a sectioned SAPIR on the right and an API on the left.
I also just got my first green link and wondered if it was correct colour. Stamped HN2 BP. What does HN 2 mean?
It came with two new headstamped ball rounds for the collection. P&S 53 20MM and RG 49 20MM. I can identify the BP, P&S and RG makers

My only SAPIR and sectioned one came from NZ cartridge club auctions. I never see these in Australia.

Last edited:
im not sure what HN2 means,could be the type of link or mark designation.the green ones are a real mystery,most likely post war but no one knows why they changed to green from black.the rounds used to quite common here but are getting harder to find now

Green links are post war cant remember exact reason but think they are stronger links. Cut out in lid is for tear off handle.
Happy New Year
Cheers
Hangarman

brucelee,my box is also stamped H47 MK2 on the bottom
hangarman,so the tear off handle would be for a solder sealed tin liner inside,correct?