What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hertz horn Russian sea mine question

Michel

When I look at the hertz Horn of a Russian M/08 mine (and others) its looks as they have a Hertz Horn protector cap on them. I assumed this cap was taken off prior to laying. I was able to buy such a cap online, to my surprise there where no treads inside and it was almost solid. Is it not the cap but the Horn itself or a unfinised product? The horn (example) next to the cap has external treading I was thinking it worked like this. Maybe someone can enlighten me?
FA20BCE7-1812-47D3-B827-9991A6F22506.jpg 55E2C963-1C6A-43D0-935E-F62F6CC8B4CD.jpg 0B8EF2E3-7CF5-470B-81E5-161F1F2143E4.jpeg

Michel

this horn does not belong to the Russian M-08.The top part of the horn looks like the british HT-2

HT 2.PNG

Hope this will help you
Regards Jack

Michel

Hereby a picture of a russian Horn.

Tentoo10.jpg

As you can see the cap is released by a fork and pussed out by a spring

Michel if you see them next to each other you can see the differences between them me be it is not a hertz horn cap.

Hoorn KB met veer en beschermkap.jpg 2.jpg

Jacleon, thanks for the pictures it is clear now how the Russian horn works. I knew the horn was not Russian but I falsely assumed it worked with treads like the English one. I think my horn cap is not a finished product or something completely different. Thanks for your help!