What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German/Norwegian wooden AP mine

I agree with WWIIBuff, it does look the same, however it's newly made with old planks of some sort, hence the very light colour where it's been cut or drilled. The assembly is wrong too as it isn't properly done and cuts aren't even straight.

Many thanks for the comments! I agree that the wood looks newer and that there are differences in the construction/assembly. So I think that you both are correct. The mine I was showing also came together with a "blue plastic mine" (at least I think it is a mine).

1.jpg

Certainly looks familiar! Is it 3-D printed? What are the dimensions? Is it a real one or just an attempt to do a knock-off of something which isn't usually made of plastic?

I don't think it is 3-D printed. It is for sure made post war and it is made of very solid plastic. It has the following dimensions:

Length: 18 cm
Width: 10,4 cm
Height: 6,5 cm

I think this is a German/Norwegian wooden AP mine. The mine is unmarked but it is IMO identical to the mine shown here:

http://www.lexpev.nl/minesandcharges/europe/norway/antipersonnelminem42.html

All additional information is much appreciated!
Way out of my field of expertice, but I was slightly involved in a discussion regarding these mines a couple of years back, as the norwegian national restistance-museum (Hjemmefrontmuseet) was doing some research into them in 2017-18 (I'm not sure about the outcome of that work).

It's clearly either an original Behelfsmine 42(n) (produced and used in Norway during the war), or a copy made by the norwegian resitance (if I remember correctly). Either way, it was a simple and rather crude construction. The german mines should have the minetype stenciled on one of the sides, as noted in your link.

I have seen photos of several mines like this, and I don't think it looks "new" at all.

Many thanks for your comments and information! I am doing some "research" and hopefully I will come up with more information. The research you mention would be very interesting to find out more about. I think an article was published in 2017 regarding these mines and it might be that this was the outcome of the work the Norwegian Resistance Museum carried out.

I think this is a German/Norwegian wooden AP mine. The mine is unmarked but it is IMO identical to the mine shown here:

http://www.lexpev.nl/minesandcharges/europe/norway/antipersonnelminem42.html

All additional information is much appreciated!

View attachment 166109View attachment 166110View attachment 166111View attachment 166112View attachment 166113
Dwight,

This is the Behelfsmine 42 (n). This wooden AP mine was constructed in Norway under supervision of the Germans. On the website of the IWM you can see this mine on picture BU 9753 where a German lifting one of these mines. There have been made post war replica's of this mine for exhibitions.