What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

European Firearms Directive

hicky1300

Hi All
Just read the new EFD that was drafted in 1991 & as I understand it became law in the UK on 1/1/21?
Reading it - as I see it - the ownership of AP/API rounds is prohibited for private collectors & museums unless it was legally held (FAC) prior to 1/1/21?
Also included as Cat A ammo are revolver/pistol expanding rounds as above.

So my questions are:
Does this new legislation refer to complete rounds live only, or inert/parts (namely the projectile)?
Some pistol/revolver calibers are used in rifles so does that get one `around` the issue?

I have a collectors/museum FAC for anything up to & including 40mm. Local police were not interested in anything larger & didn`t want me to have larger than 40mm on FAC.
This law could though mean larger caliber stuff - none of it live - is now illegal/will need to be covered by FAC? For example a Sherman 75mm APBC round complete but inert.

I can see the onus will now be to on us be able to prove date of possession - not an issue for me as I keep good records (mainly for the insurance) - but a real ball ache for many if this will be the case?
Will the police be sensible (level varies by force)?
This may not be a problem for collectors with a track record/FAC/SGC but many sound & sensible collectors have never needed to (or have the desire) to obtain a FAC etc.
For such collectors to then `deluge` their Force with retrospective applications I can see the simple answer will be `no hand it in or be charged`!!
I know some of you will say if its a private collection & you do not let anyone know of its existence/publicise it then just stay shtum & do nothing.
Easier said than done if your collection is not locked in a dark room or only you have access to & you live on your own!!

I realise & understand the need for strict firearms controls (even though they seem to be aimed at stripping civilians of the right to own etc), I fail to see that the lawmakers seriously take into consideration the reality/impact of these laws?
The criminals will still break the law - regardless of its scope/content!

I can understand the question as to `why do you want to collect certain types of ammo/live ammo?` but that is why I got an FAC - to make myself legal & expand - no pun intended - my collection.

When importation laws changed here in Australia in 1996 after the Port Arthur issue, the laws were specifically formulated for small arms ammo. My wife was in the air returning from USA with a suitcase (half full) of collectible ordnance when the implementation date occurred, when she landed the Australian Customs service had a field day telling her that most of it was illegal due to being HE & AP style. I had to make many frantic phone calls to the Attorney Generals Dept. to get clarification & convince them & ACS that the new laws pertained to small arms ammo, not collectible inert ordnance. The Attorney Generals Dept. confirmed to ACS that the laws were not meant for large collectible ammo & with the right documentation, allowed my wife on her way with the items.

Can you guys in the UK do the same thing, the laws were obviously formulated to control small arms ammunition that can be easily carried/concealed, make representation to your MPs or powers to be to get your items over a certain size exempt from this ludicrousness?

Sooner or later you will have to make a stand or you will be pushed into a corner of no return!

Unfortunately there is very little chance of a lobby to get this amended/ratified!! Nothing like democracy eh?
Any stand will result in being called gun nuts etc!
Unlike USA with its NRA (& I do not agree with all their views!!) the UK/Europe is very much at the mercy of the law makers. Our NRA etc are very much toothless tigers.
They do try to make reasonable representation but we keep losing ground bit by bit.
In the UK laws concerning obsolete calibers is being reviewed with some formerly obsolete calibers now being put back on the list as requiring a FAC to hold - due to the use of antique firearms in crime (0.01% or so) because every criminal wants a nice old 0.41 cal British bulldog revolver & not a nice shiny9mm whatever to use in the carrying out of their crimes!!??
The fact so much time money & effort has been put into such an amendement only goes to show the real agenda??!!

Back to the point of the post though my questions are regarding where we stand - there is no recourse so ensuring we understand the law & its implications is the only way we can protect ourselves from either losing our collections or liberty - or both!!