What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How rare WW2 British 3.7 AA projectile and casing

BMG50

Premium Member
One of my bucket list rounds which i will hopefully acquire in the distant future, much further into the future than i think. Just wondering how rare is it to find the projectile for the WW2 British 3.7inch AA, are the cases also difficult to come across.

I've heard UK collectors say that 3.7" AA shells are like hen's teeth, but cases turn up. This is really hard to understand given the huge number produced during WW2 and the gun being used well after WW2. Ammunition must have been dispersed all over the country and training establishments must have had many inert examples.

They are scarce here in Australia, but do turn up.

Here's one of mine I painted and a shrapnel shell alongside a British made shell I have.

Attachments

• 14.08.20-1a.jpg
    14.08.20-1a.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 73
During "normal times" you can pick up a standard 3.7 case at flea markets/antique fairs/militaria fairs in the UK fairly easily, they are ideal for umbrellas and walking sticks so I guess have lived in peoples halls for years. I've collected for 30 years. During that time I've bought or had the opportunity to buy half a dozen or so HE projectiles.

The Mk 6 case and HE projectiles are far more difficult to find. The case is longer and the projectiles are the "Probert" type. I've only ever come across 1 case, 2 projectiles and 1 drill round over that period of time that were available to buy so they got snapped up. When I got rid of that part of my collection they got sold easily, a good investment.

Regarding the other types of projectile for the 3.7.........good luck, they're hard to find.

Dave.

Last edited:
It does make you wonder where they all went to.

I've heard UK collectors say that 3.7" AA shells are like hen's teeth, but cases turn up. This is really hard to understand given the huge number produced during WW2 and the gun being used well after WW2. Ammunition must have been dispersed all over the country and training establishments must have had many inert examples.

They are scarce here in Australia, but do turn up.

Here's one of mine I painted and a shrapnel shell alongside a British made shell I have.

cases are common as much as most, (think I have a spare one) but shells are a different matter, collected for many years and only ever possessed one shell that was a table lamp in an antique shop that I went into by pure chance. Why they are rare goodness knows but so were Bofors L60 a few years ago.

In its time the 3.7" round was an expensive piece of ammunition, especially when fitted with a 200 series fuze. They were QF fixed, at least 1m long and probably the best part of 20Kg (the projectile itself weighed 13Kg). Not the easiest piece of ordnance to misappropriate. Lastly, the standing order (post war) in respect of blind 3.7" was they were to be destroyed in situ.

TimG

A few years ago there were many 3.7in HE projectiles available in NZ.
They were on an auction site and selling for the equivalent of £5 - £10 sterling
The catch .... rather pitted and misding driving bands.
Cases are fairly uncommon.
Projectiles in good and complete state are rarely available.
Once in 15 years i saw an AP proj for auction.