Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
  • Login:
    Thanks

Japanese 37x166R Type 94 Tank Round Query.

I have a Japanese 37x166R Type 94 round APHE that has a base fuze with 16 tpi left-hand threads.
    My other ones are all right -hand threads 16 tpi so when did Japan change thread directions?

The base is 8.2mm thick with only 2 key holes. No centre to unscrew. The usual base fuze is right-hand threaded same 16 tpi and I have noticed both 8.2mm and 10.0mm base heights. The projectile colour code is white band above the copper drive band and a yellow band half-way.

Base is stamped Osaka (crossed cannons) 5 10 (tenth year) so looks like May 1935?
    How common is this base fuze? Not in TM9-1985 1953 with a left-hand thread.

5 Photos. Photos 1 and 2 are the LH threads. Photos 3,4 & 5 show comparisons with normal right-hand threaded base fuze. All replies are welcome. Ron.

Jap Fuze a.jpegJap Fuze b.jpegJap Fuzes c.jpegJap Fuzes d.jpegJap Fuzes e.jpeg

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ron3350 For This Useful Post:

MINENAZ16 (28th January 2021), RichardB (28th January 2021), wichitaslumlord (28th January 2021)

Thanks
    i would think right hand thread base fuze very unusual as it would undo itself,probably why they changed as the fuze was coming undone and not functioning properly

Thanks
    I think my projectile is a Type 94 Practice AP. It is the same body length as a APHE Type 94 and left-hand threaded plug was fitted.Not a right-hand threaded base fuze.
    The cavity was filled with sand. (Elks part 2 page 181).
    The coloured bands look worn and original but why the yellow band for HE? Maybe re-painted years ago?