What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC Delay Mk.2

Scout Sniper

Hello friends,

Im interested in information on the Mk.2 AC Delay, i know allegedly only 5000 were made.

I have never seen the storage for one like tin etc or the ampoules?

Has anybody ever seen anything other than the delay itself? Any pictures or information welcomed.

The original SOE requirement for an underwater delay fuze to replace the Jefferis fuze in the MD1 Limpet called for relatively long delays (four hours to four days). These were met in the Mark I version of the AC Delay Fuze but raiding parties called for a waterproof time delay which would operate down to about half an hour. The Mark I used a technique employing celluloid washers to hold off a cocked striker until the celluloid was sufficiently softened by the action of acetone to allow the striker to force its way through the retaining washer and initiate a burster. In the Mark II design a celluloid tensile bar replaced the washer. The bar stretched and broke as the acetone softened the celluloid. The design was not without some problems but these were overcome. A Mark III was designed using a different tensile bar arrangement but this, as well as the Mark II, was too late for widespread use during the war. Only about 5000 were made by Drumcraft Ltd by the end of 1944.

200 were supplied to the Superintendent of Mine Design for use with the Underwater Swimmer Charge. They were supplied without the large hexagonal nut and with the normal commercial 'wing nut'.

Last edited:
Thats a great load of information, very interesting to hear there was a Mk.3. Where did you find that information and do any drawing or pictures exist of it?