What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roll stamp markings on large bore US WW2 armor piercing shot shell and projectiles

jeff w

I finally finished marking my large bore WW2 American AP shot/shell/projectiles. When originally produced it was all required to have prominent markings for ease of identification. That makes the markings pretty much essential for a display. These all have original paint so I used a water-based ink (Speedball brand works well) to avoid damaging it with a mis-roll. It definitely took longer to research the proper markings than to carve the roll stamps (using a CNC milling machine).

Based on Ordnance Department guidelines, the lettering height, spacing, font, format, punctuation, content and location of the markings could vary depending on the loading plant and the time period. There were also depots that refurbished and remarked ammunition. Testing and training ammunition could be marked differently (“Inert Loaded”) than service ammunition. Some important changes made over time include standardizing “With Tracer” as “-T”, and the post-war replacement of the M62 fuze with the M91 tracer fuze in HEAT shells. All things to consider when marking a particular item as in WW2. I believe my markings are all correct but admit that the T45 is pure conjecture.

Markings that were crooked, sloppy, with too much ink or not enough ink were quite common during wartime production so shooting for uniform perfection is not realistic.

If you have any WW2 US shot/shell/projectiles with original markings it would be great to see some of the similarities and variations. Please include date/manufacturer code, as this could indicate the time frame/loading plant and help someone to correctly mark theirs.

Fuzed American AP shells and projectiles (olive drab) with original WW2 ink markings are nearly impossible to find today. Unfuzed projectiles (black) and shot with markings are not nearly as rare. I suppose because they were much easier and safer to bring home by ordnance workers and servicemen.

Before and after photos;
DSCF4566.jpgDSCF4569.jpgDSCF4591.jpgDSCF4587.jpgDSCF4586.jpgDSCF4593.jpgDSCF4584.jpgDSCF4589.jpgDSCF4590.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF4588.jpg
    DSCF4588.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCF4585.jpg
    DSCF4585.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Excellent job. Well done. They look superb and in keeping with the age of the projectiles which so many collectors overlook.

Very excellent display! Are you looking for the 76mm round for the Walker Bulldog, the one that has most of the rotating band inside the case? Shouldn't the AP-HE projectiles have yellow lettering to designate HE filler?

You have 75, 76 and 90mm HVAP and a 75mm HEAT. All are rare animals that I never seen any place else.

It is time for new glasses, John. I see five AP-HE in the photo with green paint and yellow lettering.

Last edited:
INCREDIBLE DISPLAY!

These are some of the best re-stenciling that I have ever seen! They still have a slightly weathered look vs so many restorations that have stenciling look so brand new that it looks odd. Truly amazing!

Jason

The second group shot looks like yellow lettering but the close-ups look white on my computer.

Excellent job. Well done. They look superb and in keeping with the age of the projectiles which so many collectors overlook.

Thanks.
With Speedball inks I found that White (3403) is OK on newly repainted projectiles, but I used Platinum White (3517) over original paint, going lighter the more worn the paint.
For the yellow I used a blend of Dark Yellow (3412) which is almost orange, with their Yellow (3405). The inks mix together very well so you can get any shade you like.

This is White 3403 over fresh paint;
DSCF4596.jpg

Last edited:
Very excellent display! Are you looking for the 76mm round for the Walker Bulldog, the one that has most of the rotating band inside the case? Shouldn't the AP-HE projectiles have yellow lettering to designate HE filler?

It is yellow but I used a flash which kind of washes it out. I only collect WW2 so not looking for the Bulldog 76. Still looking for a 1945 dated T33 though.