What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Olive drab paint for US 75mm HE shell

Stuka

Hi there,

I'm restoring a US 75mm HE shell cutaway and I want to paint it in the original colour eventually.
I've been looking on Google for some olive drab paint, only to find out that a lot of colours between dark green and brown are marketed as olive drab.
Does anyone know a RAL/BS381c/etc colour number really close to the original US olive drab? Then I can call the local paint shop to get it mixed.

Thanks in advance,

Thomas.

US colours are know as Federal standard colours. A match for most WW2 US munitions in Olive Drab is usually the same as their vehicles in matt also know as forest green.

There is a company (in the US) called RAPCO that produces paint for military vehicle restoration, but their several shades of "OD" match ammo boxes very well, and I think it is close to what I have observed on munitions in the more "modern" era.

33070 OD pre-war to circa 1943
34087 OD has a hint of khaki
319 OD is late war from circa 1944 slightly lighter than 33070

This side by side colour comparison from the G503 forum may be helpful.

Attachments

• 169D67D8-7015-4479-A487-9330B460D6A6.jpeg
    169D67D8-7015-4479-A487-9330B460D6A6.jpeg
    38.5 KB · Views: 49
The original paint on my shells is highly reflective - at least a semi-gloss.
Below is a comparison of original paint (in casing) with a Rapco 23070 semi-gloss repaint. I have not been able to find a better match in a spray can yet. To get the right color you need an airbrush.
DSCF4598.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks all! I've thought about it and bought some 33070 satin paint.
I'll post some pics when I have finished restoring my 75mm cutaway!

I'll post some pics when I have finished restoring my 75mm cutaway!

It took some time, but last week I finished painting this 75mm cutaway.
So, here are some pictures as promised.
Unfortunately, I don't have any photo's of the shell before puttying and painting, but it was in a rather poor relic-ish state.

75m481.jpg

75m482.jpg

75m483.jpg

75m484.jpg

75m485.jpg

Looks really good. Paint is a good match.
You might want to take a paint brush and fill in the stencil gaps as they were always rolled on and thus had no gaps within the letters.