What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Projectile ID

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
I'm continuing to work on the inventory, and I'm digging out multiple items that have never had an ID. Here are three medium caliber projectiles, two of them clearly related to each other. Left to right, they are 40mm, 37mm and 34.12mm. No markings, all appear to be solid projectiles, no tracers. The two brass colored noses are non-magnetic. Anyone?

IMG_2394.jpg

The one on the left looks to be some sort of British 2 Pounder due to the distinctive driving band anti-rotation groove.

It is quite possibly fitted with an improvised false nose fuze for display purposes.

1st - British 2 Pr. with well made 'representative' fuze.

TimG

Falcon beat me to it

P.S. Is there a cavity in the base?

Last edited:
The first appears to be a good match for a 2pr, but with a flat base and no cavity. The second is a match for a US 37mm in the crimp groove and rotating band, but the profile does not match anything that I've seen, plus it has no tracer. The third would have a hard time being a Russian 37 at 34mm in diameter. I think the accuracy might suffer a bit.

IMG_2395.jpgIMG_2396.jpg

The last of the 3, the black painted one looks to be a home made job, very lathe type markings & no crimp groove under the d/band!

Points noted, but not necessarily definitive, especially for that time period. I'm holding off until I can find if anyone knows of any weapons in that caliber -

2pr common nose fuzed shell circa 1917 has a plain base but a fuze fixing screw in the nose. Yours may well have been removed from production before completion.

the second fired is obviously a genuine shell just looking at the driving band shows that, so identifying should be possible, to me the band style with the mid groove should give a good idea as to country and maker. The last, I'd have the paint off and see if there were any markings, to me it does not look origonal so no real loss.

That may well be the next step, first was to see if anyone came up with some caliber I didn't recognize - a Latvian 34mm Chupacabra projectile, etc. Barring that I'll move to the next step.

Second one looks like a blunt nose US 37mm TP M51(?) (I forget the designation). Obviously the "fuse" is a homemade add on of sorts.