What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

7pdr RML base markings

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
Good morning, I wonder if someone could enlighten me on the meanings of a marking on the base of this 7pdr RML shell. The marking is the one on the left which appears to be 1 over 2 although the latter character is not totally clear. Any thoughts?

Despite its 1901 date, this is the original design of the 7pdr, not the more common later long pattern of shell.

many thanks, Dave

Attachments

• 59422EE4-45CF-45E2-8F0D-3E598A71DAAB.jpg
    59422EE4-45CF-45E2-8F0D-3E598A71DAAB.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 2258AD2F-89D8-4C47-9C5B-E172C9B8E766.jpg
    2258AD2F-89D8-4C47-9C5B-E172C9B8E766.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 74
9Pr RML Base.jpegThat is a nice projectile. My 9Pr is marked 29 over 3. I also do not know the marking meaning. I hope somebody answers. Ron.

Hi Trevor, it’s a ‘Percussion, Sensitive’ fuze for use with 7pdr RML gun & 6.3 inch & 8 inch RML howitzers. It’s all complete other than it’s safety pin

regards, Dave

Reading through some of the Treatise of Ammunition I have found reference to the fraction on the base of these early projectiles being the casting date of the projectile.

So 1 over 2 would be the 1st of Feb and Ron’s 29 over 3 the 29th March? That’s interesting. Has anyone got a shell with a upper number greater than 31 or a lower one over 12?
many thanks for that suggestion

I would question that the day and month would be stamped on the base without the year, especially as the date is stamped on the side. Surely these projectiles are cast and it would be a real pain to change the mould every time a new batch was cast.

I have attached a page from the 1897 Treatise which unhelpfully doesn't explain the 3 over 5 in the picture of the projectile base.

20210120_173657 (2).jpg

Fraction meaning.jpegThe number is not stamped, it is cast. into the projectile when it was made. Scan taken from bottom of page 171 in Treatise on Ammunition 1874. Even tho this particular entry relates to a 10" Palliser, the production methods & ID would be the same. Ya gotta read the fine print! Regards Ozzi.

Last edited:
View attachment 166496The number is not stamped, it is cast. into the projectile when it was made. Scan taken from bottom of page 171 in Treatise on Ammunition 1874. Even tho this particular entry relates to a 10" Palliser, the production methods & ID would be the same. Ya gotta read the fine print! Regards Ozzi.

Many thanks Ozzi, can't argue with that! Still find it strange that no year appears, I wonder why .....