What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ammunition box tags?

BruceLee230

I found these at a local former WW2 Camp. About an inch long made of aluminium with green painted wire. I've seen photos of wired sealed boxes so assuming these were cut off and discarded.

P1110962.jpg

Any ideas?

Sorry, I can't speak to your tags, but "normally" ammunition box tags were designed to be "damaged" upon unsealing the box. Examples of early Frankfort Arsenal seals were paper, so that opening the box or crate, removing the wire, etc. would necessarily destroy the seal. Lead seals were common for many years, crimped around the wire, so that opening the box would require damage to the soft lead. The intent was to detect tampering, theft, pilferage, or even honest withdrawals of stocks that would alter storage conditions, change inventories, etc. Further, ammo technicians were instructed to further "damage" the seals, obliterating markings, etc. so that the same seal could not be used again.

heres some modern ones from lake city ammunition plant,i think they were on small arms boxes like 7.62 or 50cal

Attachments

• P1040246.jpg
    P1040246.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 9
  • P1040247.jpg
    P1040247.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 11