What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early Mills No 5 drill training grenade.

gothica7

Premium Member
Hi all and a Happy New Year to all members.

I have recently acquired this drill grenade from WW1 made in the style of an early centre cast No 5 Mills bomb which I think was once painted white as there is some remains of white paint. It seems to be pretty well made for a throwing dummy of solid cast iron ad what I find unusual is that its based on a centre cast but seems to have been made in the transverse or 2nd pattern way of making a gren body. The only people making Mills grens in this way in 1915 were grens being made in France and were known as 'Dunkirk' grens. Is it possible that this is where it came from? I gather there may be a Canadian factor involved here as it was found on a large Canadian training area. Ime open to any ideas.DSCN8699.jpgDSCN8699.jpgDSCN8695.jpgDSCN8695.jpgDSCN8695.jpgDSCN8697.jpgDSCN8697.jpgDSCN8698.jpgMany thanks

Andy.

Last edited: