What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats this fuze?

Hello I am struggling to find what this fuze is.
I originally thought it was the No 80 but this fuze has a max time of 34 sec whilst the No 80 only went to 22 sec.
Any help would be greatfuze.jpgfuze 5.jpgfuze 4.jpgfuze 2.jpg

Loos like a British VSM s/35 (maybe a krupp inspiration).
I assume quite rare.
Be careful your fuze is live (emissions holes closed)

35.jpg

Last edited:
With that thread and lack of taper seating, unless for export, it's not British. Does appear to have Krupp heritage.

TimG

Yes it's a classic Krupp fuze. Not sure why Vickers-Armstrong made these drawings but I don't think they produced this type. Maybe just example drawing they got from Krupp. Krupp produced them for sure. As far as I know they delivered to Turkey (arabic stamps) and the Netherlands where it was called Tijdschokbuis No.5. I am just not sure what material the durch type was made from. A question for @Greif maybe? Other countries are possible.

It just one example of a whole series of Krupp S/35 fuzes. These 35 second fuzes were usually used for larger shrapnel shells 10 cm, 12 cm and 15 cm, maybe other calibres too.

Awesome example!

Attachments

• No.6.jpg
    No.6.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Vickers Sons and Maxim Ltd, not Vickers-Armstrongs.

VSM had a 1902-dated royalty agreement in place with Krupp to make any of the Krupp fuzes up to S/22 for a royalty of 14 pence per fuze, and above S/22 for a royalty of 18 pence per fuze - Clause 2 of the agreement attached.

Clause 5 is interesting for price-fixing.

Attachments

• VSM-K_1.jpg
    VSM-K_1.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 23
  • VSM-K_2.jpg
    VSM-K_2.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 21
  • VSM-K_3.jpg
    VSM-K_3.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 21
The Dutch Tijdschokbuis No. 6 was made of brass and only used by the Dutch colonial army (NIL).

Thanks @Greif: that's what I was wondering about because most dutch fuzes of that time I have seen were made from brass.

@Snuffkin: I also meant VSM like MINENAZ16 wrote, sorry for this. Vickers-Armstrong merged later... Great that you found the original agreement!