What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japanese 37x166R Type 94 Tank Round Query.

ron3350

I have a Japanese 37x166R Type 94 round APHE that has a base fuze with 16 tpi left-hand threads.
My other ones are all right -hand threads 16 tpi so when did Japan change thread directions?

The base is 8.2mm thick with only 2 key holes. No centre to unscrew. The usual base fuze is right-hand threaded same 16 tpi and I have noticed both 8.2mm and 10.0mm base heights. The projectile colour code is white band above the copper drive band and a yellow band half-way.

Base is stamped Osaka (crossed cannons) 5 10 (tenth year) so looks like May 1935?
How common is this base fuze? Not in TM9-1985 1953 with a left-hand thread.

5 Photos. Photos 1 and 2 are the LH threads. Photos 3,4 & 5 show comparisons with normal right-hand threaded base fuze. All replies are welcome. Ron.

Jap Fuze a.jpegJap Fuze b.jpegJap Fuzes c.jpegJap Fuzes d.jpegJap Fuzes e.jpeg

i would think right hand thread base fuze very unusual as it would undo itself,probably why they changed as the fuze was coming undone and not functioning properly

I think my projectile is a Type 94 Practice AP. It is the same body length as a APHE Type 94 and left-hand threaded plug was fitted.Not a right-hand threaded base fuze.
The cavity was filled with sand. (Elks part 2 page 181).
The coloured bands look worn and original but why the yellow band for HE? Maybe re-painted years ago?