What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Dig (2021)

I watched this on Netflix over the weekend, highly recommended.

We watched it on Saturday.

A lovely film, very well acted and pretty faithful to the truth about the Sutton Hoo dig.

I don't know about the Spitfire crash and assume that was added to contribute a bit of action to what is a gently paced film.

We visited the house and the site in 2016 and it's well worth a visit. Of course, the treasure in the British Museum is breathtaking and a must see.

One thing the film didn't cover was the story from a couple of years before the dig started. Mrs Pretty had a visitor to the house who was a bit of a psychic. She said that one day she could see groups of people in ancient looking clothes circling the mounds as if in a ritual. But she could only see them from the knees upwards as if they were walking on a lower level of ground. Nobody else saw them.

This may have been the key to Mrs Pretty wanting to investigate the site.

Last edited:
We watched it on Saturday.

A lovely film, very well acted and pretty faithful to the truth about the Sutton Hoo dig.

I don't know about the Spitfire crash and assume that was added to contribute a bit of action to what is a gently paced film.

We visited the house and the site in 2016 and it's well worth a visit. Of course, the treasure in the British Museum is breathtaking and a must see.

One thing the film didn't cover was the story from a couple of years before the dig started. Mrs Pretty had a visitor to the house who was a bit of a psychic. She said that one day she could see groups of people in ancient looking clothes circling the mounds as if in a ritual. But she could only see them from the knees upwards as if they were walking on a lower level of ground. Nobody else saw them.

This may have been the key to Mrs Pretty wanting to investigate the site.

As far as I know there was no plain crash's in that area in 1939 there was a B17 crashed in the river Deben not to far away but in 1945.
Cheers
Andy

Last edited:
Here's a little bit of Anglo Saxon history which may be of interest.

About 6-7 years ago I bought a box of battlefield finds from a field-walker who lives in France near the Arras battlefield.

In the box was this piece of metal. It's about 1.5 inches long, and has four small bumps as 'feet'.

RSCN6817.jpg

After cleaning it I saw it had a design on it. Thinking it looked like a caterpillar I did some research and found out it was an Anglo Saxon brooch clasp from the 8th century, so about 100 years after the Sutton Hoo artefacts.

So not only had the Anglo Saxon brooch lasted 1300 years it had survived the Battle of Arras as well!