Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
  • Login:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    I looked at example and all the pictures i could find but didn't see the sides shaved. I did ask quite a while back when i was doing my research on this particular mine and the smaller 100gram wooden box mines, these smaller mines did have chamfered side. I suppose it depends how they were used ie not buried but placed under something like a plank etc. Thanks for letting me know, i will make a note on that and look again.
    Although the theory of shave sides would be a wise step when building a box mine, i wondered if it made any difference especially if the soil is lightly covered over the mine. I don't thing you would want to pack down dirt around and on top of a mine to hard if you see what i mean.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,284 Times in 739 Posts
    I have a wooden mine, that I believe is Russian, and it has the sides shaved down, but not to a sharp edge. I've seen multiple shu style mines with tapered down sides.
    ___HAZ/
    _____/ORD Hazardous Ordnance Recognition
    ________Saving Lives Through Education

Thanks
    The picture of my Schü mine 42, pictured earlier, does have the outside of the lid shaved to a point as you described, but the outside. Not sure how you could shave the insides of lid and not have opened corners.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    The picture i had of an original and the TM German mine manual showed the sides not tapered down, 100 or 200gram charge was enough to seriously injure take a foot or leg off a larger charge would have blown the wheel off a light vehicle. The mine is very similar to a Soviet mine type. It was used on paths and trails and laid in deep grass uncovered or covered in foliage leaves etc not always buried. Personally i don't think shaving the sides would hinder the lid closing down as the weight of a man with heavy backpack or carrying equipment would overcome dirt or small stone from preventing the lid closing. Shaved sides are not seem on larger box mines types plus those setting the trap will make sure nothing hinders the functioning of the mine. You certainly wouldn't lay this mine on stoney ground or a beach, you would used something else most probably.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BMG50 For This Useful Post:

Joerg (18th March 2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12