What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bofors LEPUS / SUPERLEPUS

MikeSierraTango

Hello,

I am Michael, an aeronautica collector from Germany and I have been using BOCN for quite some time now as a reference for ID purposes.
As I have learned, some of the collectors are (ex-)EOD or (ex-)military and have kept their interest in ordanance as a hobby. Others are civilians who are fascinated by ordnance technology.
You all have some really nice collections there and I am happy that you spend the time, effort and your money to preserve these artifacts as a hobby.

I, myself, was in the German Army for quite some time but decided to become a teacher who collects Tornado stuff instead.
However, I also happen to have some few inert practice bombs which is why I decided to make my first post since my addmittance to this forum in 2012.
Better late than never... . :)

I am interested in the flare bomb (SUPER)LEPUS produced by the Swedish company Bofors.
==> Does any expert have information on these illumination bombs?

As I have purchased and intend to restore one, I am keenly interested in data on these types of airdropped ordnance and how to identify the two.

It seems as if the LEPUS und the SUPERLEPUS can be distinguished by their outer appearance.
Am I right to assume that the former has only one bomb lug, whereas the latter has two attachment lugs?

Are there any other differences (e.g. shape, internal construction, weight, performance, carriers)?

Any info, cutaway scheme or picture will be of great value for me.

Thank you very much!!!

Please be my guest :tinysmile_grin_t:
...and the patent is even in German :tinysmile_twink_t2:

0.gif1.gif2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.gifLepus 80kg Flare bomb 1972 Image1.gif

Don't ask me about the folowing last photos - I don't remember where I found them (maybe on this very forum!).

Lepus Flare Tail Bild0049.jpgLepus Flare Tail Bild0050.jpgLepus Flare Tail Bild0051.jpgLepus Flare Tail Bild0052.jpgLepus flare.jpg

For more details on the Lepus versions, the best is to contact Blockhaj on this forum - he is fully knowledgable about modern Swedish weaponry (which for most parts is beyond my scope of interest)

Hi Dreamk,

Thank you so much! That's quize some literature for me - and even in German. :)
Much mor than I could hope for!

When I've restored the bomb, I'll load up a photo or two to in this post here.

Hi Rigby,
Thank you very much for the pics.
They are also of great help for me! :)

One never finds such things googling for hours on the internet, only among you experts here on bocn!