Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
  • Login:

Hybrid View

Images
    Thanks

Pneumatic Artillery for Avalanche Control on US Railroads

I work as a consultant for companies that ship by railroad in the US. I noticed this article on the Union Pacific web site when I logged in this morning.

https://www.up.com/aboutup/community...her-2-2-21.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsGTWXeOIuU

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M8owner For This Useful Post:

SG500 (5th February 2021), sksvlad (24th August 2021), ydnum303 (4th February 2021)

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,013 Times in 1,157 Posts
    About 5-6 years ago someone contacted me after seeing a sign on a mountain bike trail in Colorado warning of possible duds, with a bizarre picture of a round. I'd never seen one, and spent a week or so hunting on the internet before I tracked this company down. Speaking with the owner I attempted to purchase a round, he instead sold me most of his personal collection, about 6-8 pieces including the current round, many of his developmental items, a Swiss round and an Italian round. Many of the pieces are very simple, in some cases just a rock blasting cast booster (pentolite) with fins and a nose. He identified that they had had a lot of difficulty with the development of the fuze, and at one time apparently a park ranger was killed in a mishap.

I'll try and take a picture or two of the pieces this weekend. Some of them may have already been used on a thread, I don't remember.
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

Images
    Thanks
    When you think about all of the effort that has gone into fuse design in the last 100 years, it seems kind of strange they would have trouble finding a simple, low cost and safe design to copy. My candidate for best fuse design to copy would be the Russian M-50 mortar fuse of WWII vintage. Does anyone else have a good candidate fuse design that should be considered "best of its class" for this type of application?

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,013 Times in 1,157 Posts
    If I recall correctly, they studied a German mortar fuze. Their push was to keep it extremely simple and as light as possible for range and carry weight. If I had time I could probably search through old emails, but that could take a long while. Here are some pictures instead. The last two were described as Swiss and Italian.

IMG_2491.jpg IMG_2492.jpg IMG_2494.jpg IMG_2499.jpg IMG_2495.jpg IMG_2496.jpg IMG_2493.jpg IMG_2500.jpg IMG_2501.jpg
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to US-Subs For This Useful Post:

M8owner (4th February 2021), MINENAZ16 (4th February 2021), ron3350 (4th February 2021)

Images
    Thanks
    They look like professional grade fireworks. I wonder how much each round costs the railroad? I will bet they sell for $1000 each - most of that to cover the liability insurance.

Ordnance Approved
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,939 Times in 1,294 Posts
    why bother to invent anti-avalanche projectiles when you already have everything you need
    (I assume M323 shell)

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/20/us/20alta.html
    Last edited by MINENAZ16; 4th February 2021 at 09:22 PM.
    Any Live or Dug ordnance shown by me has been disposed of by EOD personnel .

Thanks
    The article states that the supply of surplus 105mm shells is dwindling.

I guess the avalanche control teams want a guaranteed source of projectiles, hence the new guns.
    Last edited by glevum; 5th February 2021 at 04:16 PM.