What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lead filled aluminium No 36 drill grenade.

gothica7

Premium Member
I bought this about 15 years ago on ebay when it was allowed from our dear departed friend Mike Saffrey. Cannot remember for the life of me how much but it wasnt a lot and its lingered out of sight, out of mind at the back of my display cabinet. Its made of aluminium and is very corroded, quite heavy as its filled with lead. I found out yesterday that it was found with 2 others on a WW1 Experimental range at Shoeburyness and that all 3 were then sold to Mike. I have been told that as its made from aluminium and filled with lead its very likely to have been trialled as a dummy for throwing practice in WW1 probly some time in 1917 as its in the shape of a no 36. WW2 grens would have been filled with concrete,I have never seen anything like it and I wonder where the other 2 went. Any one got one? I shall certainly view this one in better light now with a better position in my collection now due to its scarcity.DSCN8722.jpgDSCN8723.jpgDSCN8723.jpgDSCN8725.jpgDSCN8725.jpgDSCN8726.jpgAndy

Hi Andy

He's one in slightly better condition.

Aluminum body, no filler hole or threads to the base. Conveniently well marked 1917 JP&S. So someone may have lifted it of the production line before it could be filled with lead.

DSCN3516.jpg