What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WHAT IS IT? Brass/Wood Flechette, Line Throwing Projectile, Not Ammunition At All?

apfsds

Premium Member
I could not resist buying this as it is so odd.

I was told that to is part of a very primitive, Line Throwing Projectile? I am not convinced it is even ammunition related, but it is very well built. Made from wood, brass and a rubber O-ring, it also has 4, equally spaced slits at the base of the wood body. No clue what they are for. I thought fins of some type at first?

Anyone have any ideas?

Jason

IMG_9831.jpgIMG_9832.jpgIMG_9833.jpgIMG_9834.jpgIMG_9835.jpgIMG_9836.jpg

Puzzeling indeed, it certainly isn't primitive. The O ring is I think just added to keep it from
sliding apart. It must fit into or onto something and that is the key to it I think. I would have
bought it too , just to drive myself mad / er :xd:

It's so far from my primary collection interest of, large bore, INERT, APFSDS related ammunition, but so odd, I had to buy it. LOL

Jason

That's a great hypothesis! I like it! I will hunt, Google Images to see if I can find anything close. The point is not a very agressive angle which I would think would be bennifical to a bobbin, but I am hardly an expert.

THANK YOU!

Jason

I did a Google image search for both, Net Bobbin as well as, Loom Bobbin. Both results showed a large variety of designs. Most were very flat, low profiled and with more aggressive angled points at both ends. Some even carried threaded twine internally. Nothing looked remotely like this so I am not convinced its a bobbin yet.
Its a mind boggling contraption!
slight_smile.png

Jason

Appears to be about the size of a bofors shell, and still looks to be like something for repairs to fishing nets or similar use to me.

It certainly could be, but every design that I have seen so far for, both fishing net repair and, Loom Weaving, show slender, almost flat tools, with points at both ends. Nothing even close to anything that has this shape and profile. Weird one 4 sure!

Jason