What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MK 42 100 pound chemical bomb

weberoed

Ordnance approved
I am looking for pictures and any tech data on the MK 42 chemical bomb. Not much I can find in my searches

Pete,
I haven't looked at this newer version much, but just glanced at it from your link. The first thing I noticed was the 30lb M1 bomb - I'm pretty sure that they are talking about the crate, but what they say is:"Each M1 (including components) weighed 84 pounds if H/HS filled or 90 pounds of WP filled (1 p. 87, 107), (3 p. 103-105)." Squeezing 90lbs of WP into a 30lb bomb is a pretty good trick, especially with old technology. A little proof reading might have helped. I moved from there to the M46 30lb mustard bomb, the diagram is ok, but the picture is of a half length experimental that used to be on display at Picatinny. It is still listed as the M46. Who is proofing this? Finally I progressed to the M70 115lb bomb, they have a "photograph, simulated" with some bizarre extended tail - they show it as "cutaway" and "intact" and the two do not match.
The data seems ok, until they try to summarize and don't proof their own work, but the pictures look like a desperate attempt to get anything on paper, regardless of the accuracy. Color me not too enthusiastic.

thanks got that one, was just hoping to find an actual picture. need to exract these pages though. thanks again Jeff

Seems that it was GSI doing it for the Recovered Chemical Materials Agency. No idea around the proof reading or accuracy of the document. Much of it seems to have been regurgitated from the previous version and supplemented with information from Navord.