What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crazy eBay price

reccetrooper

Premium Member

Attachments

• 96B9F8C5-3B51-4AC4-9236-852DFD48127D.jpg
    96B9F8C5-3B51-4AC4-9236-852DFD48127D.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 73
  • 42ABE91A-DF04-4868-8842-7F2C72AB3CA9.jpg
    42ABE91A-DF04-4868-8842-7F2C72AB3CA9.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 30
Nearly as crazy as the prices on quickfire recently for German WW2 2cm rounds. Hard to find in good condition but not that hard!

Yeah a new bloke on quickfire buying all the german 20mm stuff for stupid prices no one else can get a look in.
I've seen baton rounds on ebay going for £125 just because the date stamp coincides with the northern ireland troubles.

Unfortunately, Ebay is where a lot of the new people to the hobby (in the USA also) go to look for stuff (or people just along for the ride for a brief period before losing interest). They have a lot of pocket change to burn without thinking/knowing what they are buying so prices skyrocket to silly values, giving many people the wrong impression of values. They will learn the hard way later on, if they continue the hobby, that they are not gonna get that money back. Certainly painful to watch, but I can definitely say from personal experience I had similar lessons self taught to me when I first started (on and off ebay).

Last edited:
early '70s rubber bullets have been going for silly money on ebay for some time. I would like that case though (for a whole lot less mind!)...

Been a while since I sorted out my L2 examples, but I had this older photo on the iPad.

Attachments

• 0AE80F4A-9862-4095-9528-F45F7BBD4D49.jpg
    0AE80F4A-9862-4095-9528-F45F7BBD4D49.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 31
Totally agree with you all, but consider the position if it was the last item in a set needed for a collection....would you really argue about the price or just bite the bullet .....no pun intended ? The guys buying these will, as previously stated, either lose interest or just rue the day they paid such a high price. We long term collectors suffer accordingly.
It's the same with the German " Tiger " rounds. They are iconic and everyone wants one. How many real Tiger rounds do you see for sale ? Practically every time they are Flak cases with a C/12 primer or the primer on a very rusty case has been removed and a suspiciously clean C/22 inserted. In all my time in Normandy I have ever only found 2 examples of real Tiger cases in a rusty state.
Off my soapbox now

Totally agree with you all, but consider the position if it was the last item in a set needed for a collection....would you really argue about the price or just bite the bullet .....no pun intended ? The guys buying these will, as previously stated, either lose interest or just rue the day they paid such a high price. We long term collectors suffer accordingly.
It's the same with the German " Tiger " rounds. They are iconic and everyone wants one. How many real Tiger rounds do you see for sale ? Practically every time they are Flak cases with a C/12 primer or the primer on a very rusty case has been removed and a suspiciously clean C/22 inserted. In all my time in Normandy I have ever only found 2 examples of real Tiger cases in a rusty state.
Off my soapbox now

The crazy thing, apart from the price, is the fact the items are mismatched, so either the bidders don’t know what they are buying, or they are bidding to separate the baton from the case and put together correct rounds with batons/cases that they already have.

The first item probably went high because it had an L3A1 CS case, which is hard to find. The bidding on the currently listed item doesn’t make sense.

An L2A2 baton without case should be around £35 on average to a collector in Northern Ireland, less in England.

An L5A3 case without baton should be around £50 to a collector in Northern Ireland, around £20 in England.

So an L2A2 baton in an L5A3 case should be around £85 to a collector in Northern Ireland, but the one on eBay is currently £137 and the auction hasn’t finished yet.

Don't these bidders know anything about the subject?
From what I've seen, as i frequently will see the won item show up with their new owner on some forum, no. No they do not know what they buy. Saw a guy spend something crazy like 300 dollars on a french 47mm that honestly was not worth that. Had no clue what it was and showed up on forums next day asking what he just dumped money on. Like I said, we all had those learning lessons when we first started, but some people just don't want to put the effort in to learn what they are buying when they continue into the hobby.

Last edited: